Setting a custom field with each comment

Tamir Lavi January 18, 2014

We want to update custom field every time non jira user add comment to an issue by email. Can it be done with JEMH Plugin?

We've tried setting custom filed from project mapping, but that only works in issue creation and not in commenting.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Tamir Lavi January 22, 2014

Hi Andy.

The way we solved it for the moment is by creating a looped transition that sets the custom field (e.g. "User Replied = true") on Post Function.

Than we set "On Comment Workflow" to activate that transition.

Unfortunately this feature does not support "global transition", so we have to configure this transition on every step.

If you find better way to accomplish the same behavior we need, I would like to know.

Thanks.

0 votes
JPB July 1, 2014

Hi Tamir, I have a question:

When you say "Then we set "On Comment Workflow" to activate that transition."

What are you doing there to activate a transition.

I need to activate a transition when a user comments in the issue, is something similar?

Tamir Lavi July 2, 2014

We are using JEMH plug-in to do that. JEMH is an advanced email handler to deal with incoming emails (and do much more). When a user send an email to a Jira inbox that is set to work with JEMH you can configure it to perform a workflow transition.

I don' t know of any way to perform a transition when a user comment in issue on Jira. May be escalation service (groovy runner built in script) can help here - but I'm not sure exactly how.

Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 2, 2014

JEMH has one auto advance field, the doco refers the Resolved,Closed issue to Reopen transition on comment. If you dont need that and want to drive a transition from stateX to stateY when JEMH receives a message, just replace the given workflow statuses and advancement step?

eg:

onCommentWorkflowAdvanceAction: Start Work

onCommentAdvanceFromState: Waiting on Customer

These fields restrict JEMH workflow attempts to that specific scenario, does it work for you? You can also use the status ID and transition ID to avoid any 'collisions' with other workflow entries of the same name.

https://thepluginpeople.atlassian.net/wiki/display/JEMH/Reopen+an+Issue+On+Comment

0 votes
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 19, 2014

Hi Tamir,

The Project Mappings are primarily there to initially route / setup issues. Once created, the 'mapping' of the email is not needed because the issue key will identify the exact issue to comment on, so mappings don't rerun.

JEMH custom field defaults also only apply on create only, as overwriting issue values isn't generally desirable.

This sounds like something relating to workflow though? Its an area of JEMH that hasn't got many features (yet). Can you expand on your use case, just setting some status field?

Would the 'change' you desire be specific to a particular project, group of projects, global?

Suggest an answer