Portfolio includings issues which are marked as 'Done' in future sprints

Mathyn Buiteveld March 21, 2015

We recently started using JIRA Portfolio, I imported all epics and stories of our current Scrum board and started experimenting with the automatic planning options of Portfolio.

One thing I noticed immediately is that stories which are already marked as 'Done' (because we finished them before we started using Portfolio) are still included in future sprints. It does not make any sense seeing a story which is already finished being placed in a sprint which will start in 4 weeks. Also, but I am not sure, they prevent other stories which are not done from being planned earlier making the project seem longer than it actually is.

How do I prevent stories which are already finished from being used by JIRA Portfolio?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Martin Suntinger
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 22, 2015

Hi Mathyn, this is indeed confusing in the way it behaves right now - we are working on an improvement in the current development sprint to mark items as done already upon import based on their issue status, so that they can be included for reporting purposes, but are not planned into future sprints. 

Meanwhile, here are the options you have: 

• Option 1: Build a custom filter which does not include completed issues, i.e., import only open issues and make a forward-looking plan. 
  • Option 2: Leverage the "Plan > Update from date" capability to correctly mark the items complete after the import. Go to Plan > Update from date, use today's date, or a date in the past (in any case a date that is PRIOR to the start date of the first release since you want to correct the history and not impact the future plan) - this should give you an automatic suggestion for what is actually to be marked completed in Portfolio. After that step, the items will not be shown in the backlog per default, unless you use the "Show completed issues" state button in the top right corner of the backlog table

Mathyn Buiteveld March 23, 2015

Hi Martin, I used the update from plan option and the completed issues are now removed. Thanks for the help!

Hady Lattouf May 10, 2018

I am facing the same issue now. We started using Portfolio recently and whenever we mark all tickets of an epic as completed, we would like that epic to be hidden at least when we filter on "Only Open Issues". Are we missing something?

Thanks.

Suggest an answer