Notification when a Due Date is near or past

Jill Pate September 25, 2012

Hi, I have created a "Task" Issue Type and would like an e-mail to be sent two days prior to a Due Date if the Status = Open or In Progress. Then another e-mail if the Due Date has past. Is that possible?

Thank you in advance for your time and assistance

10 answers

1 accepted

19 votes
Answer accepted
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 12, 2012

Jobin, there is a trick for that. Along with adding the condition, assignee = currentUser() anyone can do a group subscription (for whichever groups, even for jira-users) and the people will receive their own tickets which are reaching the due date in their mail.

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 12, 2012

Awesome. I was thinking about it but never tested it before. Jill, that should do it.

Thomas Becker September 11, 2015

I thought the idea was, that me as JIRA Admin sets up this subscription for the group "jira-users" so that all users will receive daily reminders for overdue tickets. But I can´t set up a subscription for the group but only for me as user. Where would I set up a subscription for a group?

Daniel Speck May 10, 2016

How do you add a condition? Is this somewhere on the issue view/page? How to manage group subscriptions?

Josh Rogers September 2, 2016

The condition is in the filter definition.  If you have a filter (advanced, not basic) that include 'assignee = currentUser()', it will only show you tasks that are assigned to you.  Once you create the filter and make it visible to whomever you want to get the email, you can then subscribe to it for the group you want to recieve it, and each user in the group will get the email for the saved filter, with just the tasks assigned to themselves.  

Pretty slick.    +1 Renjith

9 votes
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 25, 2012

You can create a filter to get this result and subscribe it to mail.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Receiving+Search+Results+via+Email

The filter will have JQL similar to this:

issuetype = "Task" and Status in ("Open", "In Progress") and duedate >= -2d

For past due:

issuetype = "Task" and Status in ("Open", "In Progress") and duedate >= now()

Rising Star
Rising Star
September 25, 2012

You will have ask everyone to subscribe. You can't send it to assignee alone.

Actually, you can create a filter which includes assignee = currentUser() and share it with users. Then ask them to subscribe!

Thanks!

How do I have the e-mail go to the Assignee?

That will be a problem, as people will not subscribe. But thanks for your help.

Thierry Lach August 28, 2013

I think that the past due should be

issuetype = "Task" and Status in ("Open", "In Progress") and duedate <= now()

Thierry Lach August 28, 2013

I think that the past due query should actually be

issuetype = "Task" and Status in ("Open", "In Progress") and duedate <= now()

(comparison is backward)

Like # people like this
Richard Morgan September 24, 2020

What do you mean by "subscribe it to mail"?

5 votes
Riada April 8, 2013

Jill,

You have maybe solved this already, but maybe it is worth taking a look at the Notification Assistant for JIRA: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.riadalabs.jira.plugins.notificationassistant

Hope it helps

1 vote
ITADMIN August 21, 2019

Hello,

I am new in Jira. I follow this

"there is a trick for that. Along with adding the condition, assignee = currentUser() anyone can do a group subscription (for whichever groups, even for jira-users) and the people will receive their own tickets which are reaching the due date in their mail."

But i didn't find those option.
Can anyone guide me step by step to enabled email alerts for reporter or Subscriber in case of due to is near?

Thanks in Advance.

0 votes
Grant Johnson February 26, 2021

Looks to me like you can create ANY filter you want... and have your staff "Subscribe" to that filter.

Have them search for the filter in Manage Filters and subscribe to it.

They will be prompted for the frequency of a notification.

Due Date is just a field in the query do filter the list.... It isn't even necessary.

0 votes
Nam Lam October 14, 2019

Can I use "automation" for this setting?

0 votes
Vladimir Horev _Raley_
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 10, 2018

Jill,

You can try Jirassimo notifications digested messaging to receive periodical warnings on issues where deadline is approaching or is missed. Check it out

Vlad

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
January 10, 2018

@Vladimir Horev _Raley_, please make sure you review our marketplace guidelines for vendors. 

I'll clarify this in the guidelines, but resurrecting a bunch of old threads to promote your plugin isn't quite within the spirit of the guidelines. Please be a bit more conservative about this type of promotion.

Thanks!

Like # people like this
Vladimir Horev _Raley_
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 10, 2018

@Monique vdB, thank you for referring to the 1 year policy. We were not quite aware of that.

Vladimir/Jirassimo

Like Eyal Lapid likes this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
January 16, 2018

No problem @Vladimir Horev _Raley_ -- I added more explicit language around this in the guidelines to make sure it was clear. Thanks for understanding!

0 votes
Vishali
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 7, 2013

Is the email field a custom field? If yes, try this:

<!-- Get CustomFieldObject from customFieldManager -->

<core:invoke on="${customFieldManager}" method="getCustomFieldObject" var="customFieldObj">

<core:arg type="java.lang.String" value="YOUR_EMAIL_CUSTOMFIELD_ID"/>

</core:invoke>

<core:forEach var="issue" items="${issues}">

<!-- Get the Issue from IssueManager -->

<core:invoke on="${issueManager}" method="getIssueObject" var="issueKey">

<core:arg type="java.lang.String" value="${issue.key}"/>

<!-- Get Custom Field Value -->

<core:invoke on="${customFieldObj}" method="getValue" var="EMAIL">

<core:arg type="com.atlassian.jira.issue.IssueImpl" value="${issueKey}"/>

Hope this helps.

0 votes
Edson Sossai February 7, 2013

Hi Vishail

I try to use your Jelly however my installation we dont hause the email in the username. the email is only stored in the email field. How can i modify the script to add the email at the line below?

<email:email server="smtp.yourdomain.com" from="jira <at> yourdomain.com" to="${issue.assignee}@yourdomain.com" subject="[JIRA] Change Due: ${issue.key}">

0 votes
Vishali
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 14, 2012

You can write a jelly script as well.

http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.java.jira.user/52095

Richard Morgan September 24, 2020

Link doesn't work

Suggest an answer