Migrate one JIRA project to other JIRA instance

Deleted user July 31, 2012

Hello, is there a way to export only one project from JIRA and import it to another instance?

Our JIRA has multiple projects and one of them has to be migrated to another JIRA server. We also want to migrate all project schemes and configuration.

7 answers

1 accepted

9 votes
Answer accepted
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 31, 2012
8 votes
Andriy Yakovlev [Atlassian]
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 12, 2016
Neil Lennon January 23, 2017

This link seems to be down - is there another instance of this information ? Thank you 

Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 23, 2017

We had some problems with https://confluence.atlassian.com. It should be back now. 

Neil Lennon January 23, 2017

Yes, realized that after all confluence pages i checked out were down smile - thank you for your reply and I look forward to your post - cheers

Jenny Bradley April 8, 2019

This link seems to not be working anymore. Is there a new url?

Atlassian Team
April 8, 2019

I've updated the link, should be fine. 

Chhoeurng Sakona January 8, 2020

Thank you so much for sharing

2 votes
Claudio Ombrella April 13, 2017

You will need to do an XML backup and then use the project import functionality. Make sure you have setup your receiving project for th import with all the custom fields, workflow, etc. An additional tip: if the JIRA instance has a plugin like Zephyr then that data will not be imported as the JIRA project import does not read data created by the plugins.

Palla December 11, 2017

Please confirm, when we do the project migration: are "fix Versions", "Affect Versions" & "Components" will be automatically imported to target system ..? or we have to do these manually..? 

Like Guilherme Pereira likes this
Nidhi Sachin Jindal October 10, 2019

Hi

I have a question here, is this applicable on Jira Server or Jira Cloud? As we have this Standard Jira in cloud and I am not getting any solution for that. 
It would be great if you can help on this.

Regards

Nidhi

1 vote
George Johnson November 13, 2019

I would suggest you set up a dev/build JIRA instance and practice the imports, this will also allow you to document such things as custom fields, priorities, link configs, things that are not automatically created at import time. Also one to be aware of is that any users be created in the target system if they're missing, and they will consume your license entitlement! When I have to move projects between systems I have a set of empty JIRA instances of various versions, I isolate the project into an exact level version of the source system, get it cleaned up, upgrade it if required, remove any dead user accounts, use bulk update to reset any data and Comment Toolbox to remove users from comments if required and then simply copy out the backup XMLs and attachments, then I know when I take it to the target system it's clean and will import perfectly. Docker containers for JIRA running on Virtualbox systems work perfectly for testing and practicing your export/import skills as they can be reset over and over.

1 vote
francis
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 18, 2018

(this is a pretty old question - but I guess still valid for a lot of people

The crux of this question is in 
We also want to migrate all project schemes and configuration.

Issue synchronisation tools are not meant for this type of migrations.  (I'm with the team that builds Exalate - also a synchronisation solution)

You should have a look at either configuration manager from Botron or project configurator from Adaptavist

1 vote
Martin Hošek September 25, 2018

Hi Miroslav, 

the best option would be a synchronization app from Atlassian marketplace. 

I personally use the J2J Issue Sync app which works great for me:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1215323/j2j-issue-sync?hosting=server&tab=overview

It can synchronize projects, issues and fields between two Jira instances. You can try it free before buy so you can test if it meets your requirements. 

Martin

0 votes
Helge February 12, 2019

The questions above are also relevant to https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-31806 which is still open.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events