Jira filter/search by epic name?

Doug Varn
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 10, 2013

I want to bulk edit tickets that share a GH epic name. Using suggested syntax like... AND "Epic Name" = "my epic" only returns the Epic itself, not all the child stories labelled as such.

Any way to do what I'm asking?

4 answers

1 accepted

15 votes
Answer accepted
Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 10, 2013

"Epic Link" = XXX-16 where XXX-16 is the Epic.

Good man May 3, 2019

Why does jira use epic link instead of epic name? and epic link is a keyword in jira, but why does it needs " ",  It's not intuitional.

Like # people like this
Dan Driscoll October 31, 2019

I'd like to just define a quick-filter across boards that filters Story objects by a string shared by a subset of epics.  E.g. Epic Name ~ABC, so that I don't have to update the filter across all the boards to constanty add new epic numbers to the "...'Epic Link' in (XXX-1, XXX-1234, XXX-3456, XXX-5467)"  clause.     Is there a issueFunction in <somefunction>() that supports this?    I've tried subTasksOf() and epicsOf() and can't get it to work.  I don't think parentsOf() is the right semantic as that is going down to subtasks and the Epic in a sense is a parent object.

edit: I just found the issuesInEpics() function and it appears to do what I want.

• ... type in (Story) and issuefunction in issuesInEpics(" 'Epic name' ~ 'ABC' ")...
Like Deleted user likes this
Dan Driscoll November 18, 2019

Now I would like to query for all Subtask from Stories with Epic names containing a pattern. 

Something like

...issueFunction in subtasksOf(" 'issuefunction in issuesInEpics(" 'Epic name' ~ 'ABC' '  ") but can't seem to get the syntax correct, or it's just not supported?

Like loomax likes this
2 votes
Mark Hodge May 4, 2015

Hi @Pablo Gonzalez,

I recently ran a query where I searched for issues in either 'epic 1' or 'epic 2' using parenthesis:

project = "Project Name" and ("Epic Link" = XXX-001 or "Epic Link" = XXX-002)

Hope this helps !

--- Mark 

Vidyavati Karanth November 2, 2018

Hello, I have similar situation, and I want to see swimlanes by epics. The filter query works fine, but the swimlane by epics does not produce desired effect. The swimlane config displays no issues on the board. Anyway, I can view them grouped by epics on my board?

Thanks in advance.

Like # people like this
1 vote
Pablo Gonzalez May 1, 2015

Hi @Timothy Chin , would you please bring some light on how to filter more than one epic in a search? I want to create a board with several epics as the criteria.

Thanks for your help!

0 votes
Pablo Gonzalez May 4, 2015

Thank you @Mark Hodge for this! Yes, that made the trick and it really will help us a lot.

All the best!

Suggest an answer