JQL query to find issues of epics

Jay Hoskins March 23, 2014

I need a JQL statement that will find all issues linked to epics that have reached a particular state in their workflow. We do a fair amount of work in getting our epics set up before placing them into work in process and need to filter out the noise of epics in the early stages of their life cylce.

8 answers

2 votes
Jamal March 12, 2019

This worked for me

"Epic Link" = EPIC-123

1 vote
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 24, 2014

Done -

issueFunction in hasLinkType("Epic-Story Link") and issuetype = Epic and status = "R&D Backlog"

Too bad you can't use the best JIRA plugin - script runner just becasue your using ondemand!

0 votes
Durgesh Gupta June 4, 2017

This is the JQL which I tried :

"Epic Link" = Epic ticket(ABC-12, which is Epic).

0 votes
Craig_Salyers March 17, 2015

I am trying to do something similar but I getting the following error. 

image2015-3-17 13:23:25.png

I tried other link types (blocks, cloners, etc) and they would fine.  Has anyone else seen this?

0 votes
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 24, 2014

Done -

issueFunction in hasLinkType("Epic-Story Link") and issuetype = Epic and status = "R&D Backlog"

Too bad you can't use the best JIRA plugin - script runner just becasue your using ondemand!

eric johnson September 7, 2018

Tarun good find on the Epic story Link !

Is there a reference on the Data Types in JCL for Jira 

Please advise 

0 votes
Maarten Cautreels
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 24, 2014

Hi Jay,

I'm afraid this isn't possible in OnDemand. For the download version there's a plugin called Script Runner. And do stuff like:

issueFunction in subtasksOf("project = XXX AND issuetype = Task AND status = Closed")

But I'm afraid that isn't possible on the OnDemand version (yet).

Best,

Maarten

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 24, 2014

Hi Maarten,

Your answer will give subtasks but the question is about linkedIssues not subtasks.

0 votes
Jay Hoskins March 23, 2014

Thanks Tarun, but I see I should have been more careful with my wording. Not the status of the issue but the status of epic it is linked to. I don't know if this is possible but it would be more like.

"Epic Link" in (All Epics with status = "R&D Backlog")

Is there a syntax for the stuff in parenthesis?

0 votes
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 23, 2014

"Epic Link" is not EMPTY and Status = " XYZ"

Suggest an answer