JIRA Upgrade to JIRA 7

Ankita Sharma October 14, 2015

Hi Team,

I am currently using JIRA version 6.3.15 and JSD version 2.3.4 and want to upgrade to Latest Versions of JIRA and JIRA Service Desk.

Please let me know for the compatibility between my JIRA version & latest JIRA version 7 (JIRA Software) and the compatibility between my JSD version and latest JSD version.

What process can be followed if i want to migrate from above mentioned versions to latest versions of JIRA and JSD.

Thanks.

3 answers

3 votes
Jonas Andersson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 14, 2015

The process is going through the release notes for every version in between to see what they recommend. I know that from 6.2 to 7.0 you will upgrade to 6.4 first, but if more steps remains between i am unaware of as i have not gone that far myself.

Either way, it's recommended to clone the production environment and preform the upgrade there before actually attempting it on something production.

If you use more than JSD and JIRA (think confluence, bamboo, fisheye) you want to test it all to make sure everything plays ball, and once you have it down to a more or less automatic upgrade you can jump into actually attempting it.This leaves room for allowing users to test the new versions of the softwares all aspects before going ahead and doing the upgrade(s).

Once more, cloning all systems to make sure you can switch back in a second has always proved itself useful, even after upgrades for me, as users tend to complain about lost functionality that can be nice to look back at to see how they actually worked prior to the upgrade.

Bill Gray October 16, 2015

helluva process

2 votes
Dave C
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 16, 2015

There's no need to go through multiple upgrades, unless you're upgrading from a version of JIRA prior to 4 (in which case you go 3.x > 4.4.5 > 7). To go from 6.3 to 7, download JIRA Software and install JIRA Service Desk as per https://confluence.atlassian.com/migration/jira-7/server_jira+agile+jsd_upgrade.

For all the product changes, please take a look at https://confluence.atlassian.com/migration/jira-7/server_jira+agile+jsd_product-changes.

Trust that helps. laugh

Bill Gray October 17, 2015

Way nicer!

Deleted user February 16, 2017

I just attended an Atlassian webinar. My current version of JIRA is 6.3.10. I asked this question explicitly and the direction was that you must upgrade first to JIRA 6.4, then 7.0, and then to 7.3 (if 7.3 is your desired version). 

0 votes
Mano Chitra R November 27, 2016

Hi,

I'm also trying to upgrade JIRA software from version 6.3.1 to 7.2. So far I was working only on customizations part and newly taken up the upgrading task. I do no have any one to support or train me to start this upgrade task and complete with confident. I believe it is not so easy task. I have gone through many documentations regarding upgrades but still I'm afraid to start on my own.

So far,

1)  I have checked the add-ons which wee use currently whether that supports to latest version or not (there are few add-ons that doesn't support latest version ad of course I don't know how to proceed this).

2) Gone through the prerequisites of latest version but still I could not clarify with many things that supports to latest version or not.

3) We have create a test environment but still we need to connect it to test database, as per the documents available in Atlassian I got some idea how to do it but still I need some assistance.

Is it possible for you to give me any suggestions ?

Thanks,

Mano.

Suggest an answer