Importing issues from excel to JIRA

Hemanth Kumar BH August 6, 2013

Hello,

We currently have a requirement where in we have bulk amount of issues tabulated in an excel file. Each row in excel has to be created as an issue in JIRA. Is there any sort of plugin or anything which would help us out? Currently we are manually creating issues and since the count of issues to be loaded into JIRA is increasing everyday, we are looking out for an issue importer.

Please guide us

Thank you.

8 answers

1 accepted

7 votes
Answer accepted
Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 6, 2013

I'm not sure if you can import a xls(x)-file, but you could use the csv-Importer. Please check the documentation

Hemanth Kumar BH August 6, 2013

Thanks for thr reply Udo Brand.

I went through the documentation and proceeded as guided. I am able to import the issues from the excel to JIRA.

thanks again

Like Charles Kleczkowski likes this
Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 6, 2013

Glad I could help.

Like Charles Kleczkowski likes this
kumar Koppisetti February 22, 2015

could you please guide me.. how to import multiple issues from excel to JIRA

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 23, 2015
3 votes
Janos Biro October 19, 2015

Hi guys,

With JExcel  you can import issues from Excel using the usual Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.moresimp.jexcel

I hope it helped,

Regards,

Janos

2 votes
Chuck Diewald June 19, 2017

Try Administration > System > External System Import > CSV to import data from Excel. I ran into some challenges with this, and documented my findings in a blog at Importing a project plan with subtasks from Excel into Jira

0 votes
praga_indrakumar June 5, 2020

Is it possible to do an import of defects into JIRA without having admin privileges ? Any option alternative ? 

0 votes
Lewis Cook December 2, 2019

Realise this is a pretty old request but for those that stumble back across it this is certainly now possible in the Admin area (server and cloud).

You are looking for a "External system import" which will allow you to map your excel columns to Jira fields etc.

Amit Anand April 7, 2020

Is this possible to migrate transition history as well?

Lewis Cook May 13, 2020

Hi Amit,

Not that I am aware of, these are essentially newly created issues.

I've only every done fairly basic imports but I guess if you try it and see what the mapping options are you could potentially import additional detail such as comments or history. I would be surprised if you could though.

Thanks

Lewis

0 votes
Yogesh Mude[Jira]
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 3, 2017

Hi @Hemanth Kumar BH,

can u please help us here to import data from Excel format into jIra.

as u mentioned in ur above comment, you provide this documentation, but i went through this article here will find CSV to JIRA. 

0 votes
kumar Koppisetti February 22, 2015

could you please guide me.. how to import multiple issues from excel to JIRA

0 votes
Rohan Chitre October 8, 2014

Hello Hemanth,

Can you please explain how could you import from excel?

Suggest an answer