How to search JIRA by providing an Issue ID?

wajdhaikal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 12, 2012

Hi,

I need to search for an issue using its ID and get statistcs. How to do his in JIRA?

Regards,

12 answers

1 accepted

10 votes
Answer accepted
Tom Jackson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 29, 2014

this jql works too: id=<issue id>

3 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 12, 2012

You meant the issue key as ID? If that is the case then you can get this using JQL, issueKey = "your issue id" or if you have multiple issues issueKey in (ids...).

3 votes
Mizan
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 12, 2012

By id i assume the issue key , you can simply do a JQL search .. example: id= ABC-1

2 votes
Jason Brison June 18, 2013

If you know the ID and want to browse to the issue you can use the url like this:

http://myjiraserver/secure/ViewIssue.jspa?id=ISSUE_ID

Phillip Ponzer [Cprime]
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 26, 2015

This answer no longer appears to work even on Atlassian's instance of JIRA. See [JRA-41720|https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-41720] for more information.

1 vote
Robert Knox June 21, 2016

If searching for multiple id's, perhaps to make a gadget on a dashboard, you can do a JQL Search id in (abc-1,abc-2,abc-3) 

1 vote
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 12, 2012

The right top box, Quick Search :)

RobertC May 14, 2019

Adios to that

0 votes
Gunaseelan Ramalingam April 30, 2021

This is most ridiculous thing that i had ever heard. Unable to search an issue with issue id. atlassian needs to fix this ASAP

0 votes
hob January 24, 2020

I am pretty shocked that if you know the issue ID, such as XYZ-123, there is no easy (beginner user) way to find it.  The search feature has a text box which I would expect to search the Id field, but it doesn't. The advanced search feature also has no access to the ID field.

There seems to be no way to star or some how save an issue, so when I want to find it again, i have to save a link in notepad or similar, then paste it back in.

At any given time, I an switching back and forth between a hand full of issues, but there is no way to mark them or find them again when I them.

I spend literally hours a week trying to find issues which I was dealing with say 30 minutes ago, but have no way to star or search given I remember the issue id number. 

I dont really want to have to start learning jql.  This should not be a requirement for lay users.

hob January 24, 2020

Someone showed me a hack way to "star" important issues.  That is to create some jql along the lines of "key in (ABD-234,ABD-342)", save it as a named query, then star this query so it shows up on the left.  I dont know why Atlassian dont allow you to star an issue.

0 votes
RobertC May 14, 2019

Latest and greatest Jira (cloud) no longer has this "Quick Search on the top Nav Bar" 

SO PLEASE JIRA SUPPORT: WHAT IS THE QUICKEST WAY  to simply find/jump to an item with ID regardless of it's creation date & status

Raphaël Ruis May 31, 2019

Yes please, I find it incredible that we have to write a JQL query to chieve that.

Ben Thomas October 7, 2019

Still not fixed.

Scott DeLoach October 22, 2019

Looks like the quick search has been moved to the left nav bar - look for the magnifying glass and enter the ID and hit enter - that will take you directly to the issue.

Ben Thomas October 22, 2019

Right you are @Scott DeLoach . I just can't get the hang of using the left nav - expect those things to be on top somewhere.

Andrew Scales November 5, 2019

The magnifying glass button search only half works - if you type in a specific issue ID you get results of tickets that contain this ID in their description,  but,  incredibly,  it still doesn't always find the ID.  Seems hard to believe that this most basic of functions is not straightforward.

0 votes
Kyle Mitofsky September 15, 2015

A much simpler answer is to use Quick Search on the top Nav Bar!

quick_search.png

The Quick Search box is located at the top right of your screen. If you type in the key of an issue, you will jump straight to that issue. For example, if you type in 'ABC-107' (or 'abc-107'), and press the Enter you will be redirected to the JIRA issue 'ABC-107'.

0 votes
wajdhaikal
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 12, 2012

Yes you are right :)

0 votes
wajdhaikal
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 12, 2012

There is no way to have a search box where I paste the issue Key, and it search whole jira? any plugin?

Suggest an answer