How to remove Epic from list of epics

Goran Lazarev January 20, 2014

Team finished sprint and delivered all issues which were part of multiple epics. All issues had been closed together with sprint. When I tried to remove epic from the list of epics, I tried marking them ‘Done’. However, I am receiving error "This issue cannot be edited because of its workflow status."

I have admin rights but I am still stuck not knowing what to do to resolve this workflow status. Any guidance?

8 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 21, 2014

You need to move it to another status - the current one has a "do not edit" flag set on it (this is done in the workflow, you might want to have a detailed look at that - you'll need admin rights for that)

Goran Lazarev January 22, 2014

This worked out. I changed Epic status from closed to 'In progres'. After that I was able to mark epic as 'Done'. Thank you.

Like Shrikant_Surve likes this
24 votes
Blair Gemmer July 23, 2018

Found the answer by exploring the UI:

Even if the Epic issue is "DONE", it will show up in the Epics panel. To mark as done and remove from Epics panel in Backlog, you have to go to the Epic and there's a dropdown next to the name of the Epic to "Mark as Done":

mark_as_done.png

Pete Jones August 8, 2018

That's what I was looking for, thanks!

Like # people like this
Tara Butler August 16, 2018

This solved my problem, too! Thanks!

Like Brian Kinkade likes this
Luis Gois September 3, 2018

It didn't work for us. "Mark as Done" doesn't remove Epic from list (JIRA 7.9.0).

Blair Gemmer September 3, 2018

You have to mark as done as in the screenshot as well as on the actual epic issue.

Like Florin Catalin likes this
Ashlee Toney September 7, 2018

Our epics are still appearing in the drop down/select list when creating a new issue - even though the epic no longer appears in the project(s) and has been closed - epic is marked as "done", resolution = "done" - from what I can tell, it's completely closed out. All tasks assigned to it are closed. Not sure how to remove it from the select list? Ideas?

Like # people like this
Blair Gemmer September 7, 2018

Did you Mark as Done from the screenshot I pasted? That works for me, so no clue if this doesn't work for you.

Luis Gois September 10, 2018

Yes, I've marked it as done. While it works fine in any of our JIRA test instances, it doesn't on our production instance. Nothing weird comes up in the logs (tried SQL log too). I've tried reindexing to no avail. There's probably something wrong in the database, so I've amended the board filter to exclude resolved epics and that works for us.

Ashlee Toney September 10, 2018

@Blair Gemmer - Yes, I have marked it done using the step you have. In the screen shots below you can see that we have 'resolved' it and the status is in the completed status according to it's workflow. I also verified all of the issues attached to the epic are in a completed state according to their workflows.

Screen Shot 2018-09-10 at 11.15.03 AM.png

However, when I create a new issue, or edit an issue and go to the epic drop down...this one (or other completed epics) are still appearing. (and the "show done epics" is deselected - as shown in the screen shot).

Screen Shot 2018-09-10 at 11.20.58 AM.png

Blair Gemmer September 10, 2018

That's really bizarre. If everything is as you say it is, it sounds like a bug and should probably be escalated to the Atlassian team.

Blair Gemmer September 28, 2018

One thing to note, when you click "Done", you should see a confirmation modal that looks like this: 

epic_done.png

Like # people like this
Colin Scott November 8, 2018

This is exactly what I was searching for! Thanks for the screenshots!

Like Blair Gemmer likes this
Blair Gemmer November 8, 2018

@Colin Scott Absolutely. Glad to be a help!

JO Sekera April 17, 2020

I'd like to understand how, and why this is not the same as the story status. 

tobias.fielitz August 12, 2020

Works for me - unless the epic does not show up in that list. Nevertheless when searching the Epic field of new/existing tickets the epic is still selectable :( Is there any other place to close it off?

3 votes
Peter T
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 21, 2014

Epics are shown if associated with them User stories or other issues are shown on the board based on the filter that the board uses.

For example: Epic 1 have 3 User stories. Two ot them are Done and 1 is To Do.
As long as tasks no matter of their status are shown on the Board the Epic will be shown too.
So to remove the Epic you have to make such as the filter does not show the User Stories.

Regardingthe Epic status - can you provide more information - what is the workflow, in what status the Epic is, etc. Screenshot will help as well.

1 vote
Ethan Neff August 29, 2019

It's still broken

0 votes
Akhil Vadukkumcherry Lohithakshan March 28, 2019

None of this is working for me.

I still see DONE Epic drop-down in my DASHBOARD

Katherin Sanchez September 3, 2020

hee

quetta abla español

0 votes
Mattias Hallberg July 2, 2014

Hi,

I have reviewed above approach but I still cannot see an option to remove the Epic when clicking on the arrow where you set color (and Edit Name and View in JIRA). Also, the Epic is in status InProgress and can be edited.

I am admin on the project.

All issues connected with this Epic are closed, not visible on the board anymore.

No quick filter has been set hiding possibly open tickets on the board.

Any good ideas?

Matt

Suggest an answer