How to Assign Issues

Junaid Shah
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 19, 2015

Hi,

Im wondering how a user can Assign issues to other users, for example if an Issue is assign to me, how can I reassign it to another user so that they can perform their task. and How would I assign an issue later on to myself if it is already assigned to someone? is this possible?

Thank you.

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Junaid Shah
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 19, 2015

I've put Assign Issue to a user in Permission Scheme and I am testing with that account, theres no options to Assign to a user, there is "Assign to me" if it is unassigned however if it is assigned then there are no such options unless im logged in with my developer/administrator account.

Ok So In Permission Scheme, Under "Assignable User" - Group A, Group B, Group C, and Jira Admins, Under "Assign Issues" - Group Managers and Group Jira Admins. I've given Global Permission to Browse Users to Group Managers.

Group Managers has 3 Users

Group A, B and C have 4 users each.

So for example I have a Manager Account, I cant seem to assign to anyone, from Admins I can assign to myself, but I cant assign to anyone else either. So neither way is working, I've had a looked through properties and there doesnt seem to be any jira.permissions.assign, or similar..perhaps Im missing that property?

My overall task is that Managers should be able to Assign to users through the Assign button which Ive read about, Ive checked all schemes, and they seem to be fine, only issue I would imagine being is the property value, sorry I cant comment as Atlassian Answers isnt allowing me too..

Yep Ive logged in as a Manager, would the property value make a difference..? The only other thing I can think of is that one of the other admins has deleted the ability of Assign by removing it from the list of options with JIRA itself.

Need 25 points to do it more than 3 times a day lol.

Turns out to be disabled in an add on. Due to Assign button not being able to be tracked, e.g. who Assigned who and anyone with right permissions were able to do that.

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 19, 2015

Does this user have global Browse User permission?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 19, 2015

Also, who do you have in "can be assigned issues" permission? That determines the validity of the users you will be allowed to assign it to (and Udo's point about whether you can browse users - if you don't have it, then you will have to know the full user name of a valid assignee)

Like kennethsigei30 likes this
Junaid Shah
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 19, 2015

I've added the group to the Global Browse User permission, there is literally no option on the Issue screen to "Assign", If it is Assigned to me, then I cannot change the Assignee, do you think I might have to just build a screen with an Assignee field?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 19, 2015

Hang on, you need to be very clear here. - You need to be in the group with "global permission" for "browse user". This allows you to see the users in the assignee field when you are trying to use it, but does not affect who can assign or be assigned - The user(s) you wish to be valid for the assignee field must match the project permission "assignable user" - You, as the person who wants to assign the issue, must match the project permission "can assign" Could you confirm exactly what the two lines in the *project* permission say? Both "assignable user" and "can assign"?

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 19, 2015

If all is set as Nic described it and you still do not see the Assign button, then you need to check the step properties in your workflow. Look for properties like: jira.permisssion.assign Maybe there is a restriction.

Like Sharol Dsouza likes this
Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 19, 2015

Ah you, edited your answer. So from what you are writing Members of "Managers" and "admins can assign issues, but only Admins and group A, B and C are assignable user and only Managers have Browse Users permission. - So as member of Manager you should be able to assign to someone else (but not to yourself due to lacking assignable User permission). - As Admin you can assign (to yourself) but can not select user (missing Browse users permission). - As member from group A to C you can't assign due to missing assign user permission. As which member do have problems?

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 19, 2015

Hmm, Managers should be able to assign though, since they have assign issue permission and global browse users permission. And you logged in as a member of Managers? Regarding not being able to comment. Add a new answers (instead of editing the old one) we will convert it to a comment.

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 19, 2015

We don't recieve a notification when you edit your answer. Sorry for the delay. > "Yep Ive logged in as a Manager, would the property value make a difference..? " Since you have no properties found, no > "The only other thing I can think of is that one of the other admins has deleted the ability of Assign by removing it from the list of options with JIRA itself" So talk to them, find out if they have done something. Can you tell us what other permissions Managers have?

Junaid Shah
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 19, 2015

Managers have Issues to create, Assign, and now Ive added them to Assignable as well, as well as other management permissions such as delete own attachments, delete attachments, etc. Thank you very much for all your help Udo, I will wait till the other Admins come back from holiday and I will ask them if they've done anything. I'm an Intern here and working with JIRA is quite different than what we've been learning in Computer Science at Uni lol :), Having double checked everything again, I believe it to be most likely that they've disabled this option..

Junaid Shah
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 22, 2015

Can Confirm They Were Disabled in the Add-Ons, thanks a lot for your help.

0 votes
Dunila Jayasuriya January 19, 2015

Also you can just click "a" and select the user you want to assign to and click on assign

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 19, 2015

Look at the issue, click "assign".  Or change the assignee while editing the issue.  If you are on the list of possible assignees, it will offer you an "assign to me" option near the field too.

To do that, you must have "assign issue" permission in the permission scheme 

0 votes
Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 19, 2015

You need assign issue permission in order to assign issue. If you have it you simply can use the assign button in the menu (there you have also the option "assign to me").

Suggest an answer