How do i delete a project?

baruch ostrovsky January 9, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Setting up your service desk

How do i delete a project?

14 answers

5 votes
mohd zakir May 28, 2018

Hello everyone,

Project delete option you can find by 2 ways

1) Go to setting => Projects => Delete

See the screenshot below

Screenshot_9.png

2)Go to project => Delete project

See the below screenshot

Screenshot_10.png

Susan Barney June 22, 2018

Thanks!  That worked!  :) 

Mediapro US July 17, 2018

Thanks. 

David Abdel-Malek September 5, 2018

This does not work. I tried both suggestions but I still see the project in the admin list.

Like # people like this
Katie Fong April 18, 2019

Thanks, this was helpful and it worked for me.

AKSHAY KUMAR September 10, 2019

Thanks , That worked ! :) 

4 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 10, 2016

1. go to the project, find the admin section and select "delete project" from the options at the top right.
  2. go to the admin's list of all projects (not the plain user project list) and select "delete" from the options to the right of the project

Bear in mind that deleting a project kills it completely.  If you have any doubts that you may need any of the data in it again, take a backup first, because that's the only way of recovering it.

Radha Chhuttani April 18, 2018

I am not able to find admin tab and then delete tab

Like # people like this
Jolene Hey April 18, 2018

At the very top-right is your avatar icon. Next to that is a cog (gear) icon. Click the cog.

The dropdown says JIRA ADMINISTRATION.

Choose Projects in that list.

The Actions column in the Project row will have a delete link.

Like # people like this
David Alperovich May 20, 2018

@Jolene Hey, at the top right gear Icon only gives me some option to hide something.

My avatar is on bottom left. There is an Administration section, but it has no entry related to projects or deleting them. There is no JIRA ADMINISTRATION option, and yes, I am every kind of Administor (and I'm also the owner of the account)

Like # people like this
Ian Franks October 4, 2019

Same problem for me. Icon is bottom and no option to delete projects!! Very frustrating having so much difficulty to do something that should be so simple!! :s

Like Elie Abouzeid likes this
2 votes
Lepanto June 19, 2019

I don't see delete option in sidebar of project settings.

But found delete option in project settings >> details page by clicking three dot on top right

Screen-Shot-2019-06-19-at-7.05.00-PM.jpg 

Brett Wyrick July 24, 2019

Looks like this is a next-gen project.

2 votes
Sibusiso Maluleke May 16, 2018

Go to your DASHBOARDS ---> Click on SETTINGS ---> click on PROJECTS --->click on PROJECTS again ---> the Vwalaaa you can see the DELETE option there to click on.

Tadd Barnes September 5, 2019

Got to love the usability in Jira.  This worked for me!

Andrea_Coppo March 13, 2020

Ok. That worked. Thanks a lot

1 vote
Wallace Mann March 28, 2019

Wow.  Pretty frustrating.  I have a brand new cloud instance of Jira and I am the admin and only user.  None of these suggestions help.  I've been around and around and around and don't see any option to delete.  My screens do not look like the screen shots above.

I am very familiar with Jira but new to being an admin.  My assumption (as also described above) is that by default I don't have the right permissions. 

Bad UI design aside, can someone provide advice to getting god-like privileges on Jira so I can do this (and whatever else might come up).

Thanks,
Wallace  

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 28, 2019

That's because the screenshots are of an old version (Server is still similar to them), as you might expect on a 2-3 year old question.

Go to the project details (in project settings) and look to the top right, where there is a ... menu with "delete" as an option.

Wallace Mann April 1, 2019

Thanks, Nic.  The "project details" was the key to get me there, although I found it in a different spot. 

I do not know how much my Friday attempt to grant myself as many privileges as possible might also have made the difference ... I don't know if some permissions take time to come into effect.

For completeness in case anyone gets as lost as I did, this was my path to the light:

(1) Found my list of projects

Screen Shot 2019-04-01 at 3.30.20 PM.png

(2) Clicked on the project to be deleted and came to the menu below.  I think I got tripped up before because this list disappears when minimized.

Screen Shot 2019-04-01 at 3.30.43 PM.png

(3) By clicking "Project Setting" I came at last to the golden button to delete the project.

Screen Shot 2019-04-01 at 3.30.56 PM.png

IT Manager April 10, 2019

Crikey, that was difficult. So many out-of-date posts on this topic and not much direction from Atlassian staff. Thanks @Wallace Mann , your instructions were spot on.

Good luck to those finding their way here in 4 years ;)

Like # people like this
Ian Franks October 4, 2019

Perfect!

I got there in the end thanks to your screenshots. 

Many thanks.

1 vote
Matthew Krudop January 24, 2019

This is a bit frustrating as the instructions are vague and the UI confusing.  Assuming that you get into the project settings, the left panel becomes a menu bar (hidden in plain sight).  On this menu bar, there is a delete project option.

1 vote
Elamaran Police November 7, 2018

Open the project and then click on Project Setting. There you will get option to delete the project

1 vote
Ton June 21, 2018
1 vote

very odd, the option was missing, and suddenly it became available. The only explanation is that even though I am account owner, I didnt have the right privileges by default and after I added them, they still didn't take effect until much later.

No wonder everybody has problems. The system is set up by default for account owners not to have the right settings. 

Susan Barney June 22, 2018

How did you set up the right settings?  

Like # people like this
0 votes
Duncan Grant February 26, 2020

If the question has to be asked, then JIRA you have done something wrong.

0 votes
Brett Wyrick April 11, 2019

For JIRA Cloud:

Open the sidebar (shortcut is '[' ), and click on "Project Settings".

Project Settings1.png

On the "Project Settings" page, "Delete Project" is on the sidebar.

Project Settings2.png

It was confusing that it wasn't on the bottom. Usually, deleting things seems to be at the bottom of most user interfaces. It's also odd that you can't delete a project in the Project List.

Hope this helps someone. 

0 votes
mohd zakir May 28, 2018

After selecting delete,  it will ask for, "you are about to delete"

Screenshot_11.pngClick the Delete button, it starts deleting project and then it will generate acknowledge

Screenshot_12.png

Thank You.

0 votes

Me too I cannot find the admin TAB, this is so not helpful.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 16, 2018

Nevertheless, it is a correct answer.  Since it was written, Cloud has had the UI changed to something that makes it a lot harder to find stuff, including the admin sections.

Look for the settings cog on the left to start with, while you're in a project view.

Thank you Nic, I will keep trying, if I find it I will post it.

SO I FOUND HOW.

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist-, my avatar is on bottom left. There is an Administration section, but it has no entry related to projects or deleting them.

At the top right in a project, there are the dots in a grey box, but clicking on them only gives me an option to "Hide cover image", whatever that means.

and yes, I am every kind of Administor (and I'm also the owner of the account)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 21, 2018

In the admin section, go to the list of projects, that will have the delete option

Like Viren Kochhar likes this

Suggest an answer