How do I select and move multiple issues on the Jira Agile Plan page

lukemerrett January 9, 2015

I've set up a series of sprints and want to move multiple issues from the backlog into each sprint.  Currently I can only do that by dragging and dropping 1 at a time.

As our backlog gets bigger this will become time consuming.  Is there a way to select multiple (eg: Shift+Click or Selection Box) then move all selected issues into a sprint?

3 answers

1 accepted

10 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 11, 2015

Shift-click and Ctrl-click work as you would expect them to for selecting multiple items.  Click an issue.  Then hold shift and click one several rows above or below it, and you'll be able to drag the whole block into (or out of) a sprint.  Hold ctrl-click to select several items that are not batched together.

lukemerrett January 11, 2015

Ah I see, that works as you say Nic, thank you!

Aaron Libby October 29, 2015

I used to be able to do that exact same thing without a problem. Now it doesn't allow me to select any more than just the one item even while holding down either shift or ctrl. I can't figure out why. It's frustrating. Any suggestions?

Like # people like this
Rui Covelo April 8, 2016

Aaron,

I thought I was having the same problem (that how I found this question) but then I discovered that issues were in fact selected. The problem was the selected color is just incredibly similar to the unselected color. But if I try to drag them, it shows the selected issues count.

Like Mark S likes this
Eric B May 29, 2019

It's 2019... could we get some colors visible to the human eye? :)

Like # people like this
Mansoor Mohammed March 18, 2021

Hey! Here is 2021. 

you can go to issues and then > Go to advanced search and then > 3 dots right-up there > choose then > Bulk change all *Number* issue(s). 

Celine Hau April 30, 2021

@[deleted]: that's not on the BACKLOG view. the issues view bulk change has been there since ancient days.

Matthew Johnson June 4, 2021

When I shift or ctrl-click it just opens the issue in a new tab.  How do I configure this?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 4, 2021

Look to your browser settings.  Jira can only go on what your browser asks it to do.

0 votes
Hanif August 6, 2018

Found out that I can do so after clicking on an issue, close it, then hold shift and click on the issues that you want to move. Can't do so without clicking on an issue first

santosh kumar February 18, 2020

Hi @Hanif Zakaria 

Here im unable to move parent issues with sub tasks from Backlog to sprint, when im moving only parent issues are coming it is not showing any Sub tasks.

can you please provide info how can i move all these issues.

0 votes
AdminTeam EMC October 16, 2017

I found this issue while looking for ways to move multiple issues to different statuses in a Kanban board.

In 7.5.0 (Server version), I can select multiple issues in a Kanban board as @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- suggests, but I cannot move them to a different column. (I created a plain-vanilla Kanban project with the standard, Simplified Workflow, where every column is mapped to exactly one workflow status.)

According to this page, moving multiple issues in one go, is not supported. Check out Item (2), third bullet, where it says: "It is not possible to transition multiple issues by dragging them to another column."

Casey Schmit November 2, 2017

Looks like this is supported on JIRA Cloud, but not JIRA Server.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWSERVER-9581

Suggest an answer