How do I add Jira ServiceDesk to my existing Jira Software install?

Steve Rhodes
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 13, 2015

I currently have a JIRA 6.4.x + Agile install and am trialling a JSD 2.5.x as addon. I wanted to perform an upgrade on my test server but am unsure how to proceed. I can see three available files for my Win-x64 environment:

atlassian-jira-software-7.0.0-jira-7.0.0-x64.exe
atlassian-servicedesk-3.0.0-jira-7.0.0-x64.exe
jira-software-application-7.0.0.obr

Do I install JIRA Servicedesk (even though i dont have a paid license yet) and then install the Software obr? Or do i install the jira-software exe and then somehow install JSD? If so, how? My JIRA instance is not connected to the internet and JSD is no longer available as an addon.

4 answers

1 accepted

12 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 13, 2015

I'd install Jira-Software, run it and then go to "manage applications" and add Service Desk. 

Use evaluation licences until you're certain you've got what you need smile

Deleted user February 9, 2016

I'm trying to install service desk on my linux install and although I have jira-system-administrator perms, I still don't see the application menu.  Any ideas?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 9, 2016

At a guess, you're not yet on JIRA 7?

Like shiran VATURY likes this
Deleted user February 9, 2016

This is a relatively new install, so I was thinking we were on 7, but we aren't... 6.4.10.  So I guess Service desk is an "add-on"?  Also I already have a license, it just wasn't configured when we installed Jira.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 9, 2016

Yes, you are completely right.  

A load of stuff changed in JIRA 7, although the main things for most of us were "two add-ons became applications, and there are now three initial starting downloads instead of one"

On JIRA 6.x, if you want to add stuff to it, it's all add-ons. 

On JIRA 7.x, you need add-ons or applications.

As I scribble this, there are two add-ons that have been promoted to applications - JIRA Service Desk and JIRA Software (also renamed from "Agile").  To confuse it a bit more, you can download JIRA Core, JIRA Software or JIRA Service Desk.  

As you're on 6, just download/install "Agile" and you'll be fine.  Your licence keys for Service Desk and Software will work fine - they'll enable the add-ons, even though they say they're for the "applications"

<self-serving grumpy opinionated bit>
Personally, I like that you can download a more pre-integrated system, but it annoys me that

• It seems to be deliberately unclear that Software and Service Desk downloads are quite simply bundles of Core + <something>
  • There's no download of "JIRA Both applications"
  • There is a hard-sell of "JIRA Software" over "JIRA Core".  I understand it, the Software application adds so much, it's a good solid default, and I've spent years telling people that there's really useful stuff in it.  But it's a bit ott at the moment.

Deleted user February 10, 2016

Thanks for all of the help.. I have a user that is using plug-ins that apparently rely on 6.4.10, so I need to investigate that before I upgrade to either 6.4.12 or 7.x and install service desk.

blah....

Thanks for answers.

But I'm a little bit confused, on Jira Software 7.x.

Should I install atlassian-servicedesk-x.x.bin on the server with existing jira-software if I want them work at on server because it's a separate application now?

Or should I look for Administration > Applications > Versions & licenses 

as it's suggested here  ?

Like Aleksey Bereznyak likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 11, 2018

No, running an installer will scrub your installation.

Use Admin -> Applications to add Service Desk to your installation.

Like # people like this
16 votes
Steve Rhodes
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 13, 2015

Answered my own question but i'll put it here anyway as the migration hub is clear as mud.

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/30952936

Install JIRA Software, navigate to the Applications page and upload JIRA Service Desk from https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/service-desk/update - and make sure to choose the Already have JIRA Software or JIRA Core? option. Then you'll get a jira-servicedesk-application-3.0.0.obr.

The key is the "Already have..." otherwise you'll end up with an executable 10x the size of the obr.

Dave C
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 13, 2015

You could either have downloaded JIRA Software or Core and installed JIRA Service Desk on top of that, or downloaded JIRA Service Desk standalone. Both of the standalone installers have Core underneath the hood, Software and Service Desk are OBRs that contain a series of JARs that are plugins to Core. If you download Software or Service Desk it's basically Core bundled with those additional files. This also means you can update Software and Service Desk without having to update Core. :)

Richard Cross September 2, 2016

Alternatively, download the OBR from https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.atlassian.servicedesk.application/versions and upload it from your computer via the same process.

1 vote
Gregory Schwedock August 16, 2017

It looks like this is now much simpler.  In the admin section you can simple click to install Service Desk or Software applications on the server install:

Administration > System > Applications > right hand side of screen see screenshot below.Versions___licenses_-_JIRA.jpg

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 16, 2017

It's been that way since JIRA 7.0

Brian_H October 3, 2017

We're running JIRA Software as a VM and Confluence on a separate VM. Now we have purchased Service Desk. Is it best practice to run SD on top of Software or on a separate instance?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 3, 2017

Both.  Depends on what you need. 

For resilience, data segregation, config separation, or hardware reasons, you could run them separately.

Or, for better integration, with developers able to help out helpdesk agents inside a single service, run them together.

Brian_H October 3, 2017

Thanks Nic. We'll review based on your recommendations.

BTW, how can I remove my email address as the posting name? I edited my Atlassian profile to remove the display of my email, but it either doesn't sync immediately or it's not going to...

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 3, 2017

Brian_H October 3, 2017

Yep, I did that earlier, before that second post. Does it take some time to sync?

John October 30, 2019

Hi Nic

We have environment like Brian mentioned above.  I read your answers.  Right now we already had so many projects in Jira application server and Confluence application server (they are separate servers), now we want o install JSD on third server.  Is the integration of JSD with Jira and Confluence the same as (I mean the function) Jira application installed on top of JSD on one server?

If Jira application installs on top of JSD on one server, how can we do the maintenance, in term of upgrading, customize schema JSD and Jira, etc?  is it complicated?  Currently we have 2 people taking care each application (jira and confluence)

Thank you so much for your help. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 7, 2019

I am not sure I understand quite what you are asking, so let me lay out what you could do given my current understanding, so you can tell me what I have got wrong:

• Jira install 1, with JSD
  • Confluence install 1
  • You are planning to add Jira install 2, with JSD

In this case, both Jira install 1 and 2 can be linked to the same Confluence to use it as a knowledge base for their JSD projects (as well as the standard Jira to Confluence functions)

John November 8, 2019

Hi Nic,

Thank you for your reply.

let me arrange my question.

What are differences of functionality between the configuration of Jira software and JSD software as below:

1.  JSD and Jira software install on separate instance on AWS Linux

2.  JIra software installs on top JSD in one instance on AWS Linux

What is the benefit if one company implement Jira software and JSD software using protocol 1 above?

What is the benefit if one company implement Jira software and JSD software using protocol 2 above?

Like Tim Schneider likes this
0 votes
Diane Ludens October 13, 2015

Wasn't the Service Desk installed from JIRA Admin -> Add-Ons -> Find New Addons ?

Looks like it was changed recently?  

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 13, 2015

Yes, JIRA 7 changes the structure - Service Desk is no longer an Add-on, it's an application.

Like Vadim Kiyko likes this
anwar bushnaq July 13, 2016

Hello, 

Our company is using JIRA Agile 6.2, and we are trying to use JIRA service desk, is it applicable to use cloud or server? while we are using an old version of JIRA as per your releases its requested 7.0 or higher version. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 13, 2016

On Server, you can add Service Desk to JIRA 6.2 or above (in fact, lower as well, but there's no point looking at older versions really).

On Cloud, the version is irrelevant to you - it's maintained at "latest Atlassian version", you have no choice of versions

Suggest an answer