Group Items in Filter Search

Jeremiah Landi December 29, 2015

Hello,

I am relatively new to JIRA filters and JQL. I am looking to have collapsable groups dependent on a field (e.g. user name or status). Is there a way to do this? 

Here is an example string I am working with:

project = TEST AND issuetype = bug AND status != Closed ORDER BY Rank

4 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 29, 2015

JQL only finds issues.  How they are displayed to you is entirely up to what you display the results in (the order by clause is a convenient flag for a couple of places to pick up a sort order piece of information).

I've seen a few add-ons that give you grouped views, but there's none built in that do a grouped expand/collapse type view

3 votes
Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 29, 2015

What Nic has said is true: there's no way of using a GROUP BY clause in JQL.

Nevertheless, you have several built-in ways of viewing issues grouped by a specific field through the inclusion of gadgets on a dashboard.

Have a look at these gadgets:

The results shown are clickable so that you can see all issues falling into each of those categories.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 29, 2015

That's what I said, the "group by" is handled by the reporting method, not the search.

Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 29, 2015

Exactly. Just wanted to point out some specific built-in ways of grouping issues.

2 votes
Avdhesh Chauhan December 30, 2015

Hi @Jeremiah Landi

you can use project = TEST AND issuetype = bug AND status != Closed JQL and then Go to "Export" --> Charts --> and their you can find lots of charts availabe and you can user Pie Chart and choose the field you want to group by the tickets it can be any select list or multi select also as oer your choice.

0 votes
anna February 23, 2020

Thanks for this! I used 

issuekey in childIssuesOf("<Issue key>") and got all the issues. I would like to group by epic and stories. I tried order by epic link and got the stories ordered but the epics are list at the bottom. I wanted epic1 and its stories, epic 2 and its stories ... under an initiative.

Is it possible? TIA

Suggest an answer