Export or back-up a single project

lee rosenberg August 27, 2013

Has anyone figured out a simple solution for exporting a single JIRA project? This documentation indicates that I would have to spin up a new instance of JIRA, import a back up, delete the unwanted projects, and then make a new back up.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Restoring+a+Project+from+Backup

13 answers

25 votes
JP July 20, 2016

3 years later and there still no answer for this.

Karthekeyan_Sundararaj December 24, 2019

6 years later and still no answer

Like # people like this
NickS May 22, 2020

7 years

Like # people like this
Frank Terburg June 5, 2020

Yes, I have the same requirement. Need to deliver export of customer Jira project and don't want to share all of my projects off course! @Atlassian, any plans for a simple single project export feature? can't be too difficult I would say

Like # people like this
Markus Lenger August 6, 2020

I just managed to migrate a single project from Jira Server 8.3.2 to Jira Cloud using the following steps:

• Export project from productive Jira Server using the Project Configurator for Jira
  • Import into a local Jira Server running in a docker container (I used atlassian/jira-software:8.3.2)
  • Fix any issues reported by the import tool. e.g.:
    • Add missing users
    • Import workflows
    • Add missing Issue Link Types
    • Add missing Issue Security Schemes
    • In two cases I even had to directly manipulate the database
  • Now you are ready to use the Jira Cloud Migration Assistant to move into the cloud
  • In the cloud remove any unwanted users that were migrated (does not work on Jira server since it reports that there are links from invisible issues to these users)
Like # people like this
Robert Coombs August 27, 2020

Happy anniversary to this yet-to-be addressed issue!

Like # people like this
Deleted user October 29, 2020

Because no one thinks that anyone would want to export a SINGLE project.

Like # people like this
Tim Graham May 27, 2021

8 years

Like # people like this
13 votes
Ralf Martin March 23, 2015

But none of those have an answer other than

"Take a complete backup and import from that a single project"

This is no scalable solution sad

7 votes
MoroSystems Support
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 21, 2017

Hi all,

Because we have solved this problem many times with our customers in past, we have a pretty simple solution. While the recommended Atlassian procedure is safe and verifiable, however, if you have several hundred projects in the JIRA, this solution is not effective.

Unfortunately, Atlassian JIRA even today does not allow to export / import only one single project. However, you can help with plugin eg. "Configuration manager for JIRA" since version 5.x. I assume you need to import one particular project in another JIRA (for example, in a JIRA test).

The steps are as follows

1. You install the "Configuration manager for JIRA" plug-ins on both JIRAs (to simplify - CMJ)
  2. In JIRA A, you will use the CMJ plugin to snapshot the project setup - as instructed at Snapshot Management
    (A snapshot of the project configuration is created + all issue data)
  3. in JIRA A you download this snapshots file to a local PC
  4. In JIRA B using the CMJ plug-in, Deploy snapshot (import file) - as instructed at Snapshot Deployement
  5. Done

I hope I've helped you

Best Regards
Pavel Junek
MoroSystems Support

ArminLange April 23, 2019

Thank you for this solution but it only works for JIRA server. For cloud users this is not available as of now (reviewing the website of the product).

Armin

Like # people like this
Smita March 12, 2020

Running into this situation where I am not able to install Cloud migration assistant from JIRA server as we are on a older version and not able to export/import because there simply is not an option!

Abteilung Datenschutz July 14, 2020

It's a bit poor to need a third party plugin for standard features like this in a polished and pricey product like JIRA. 

Like # people like this
6 votes
Adam Innes April 23, 2019

Still no options available. This is a feature that would make it easier for you to migrate to another service, which is why it will never be implemented.

Justin Warwick February 27, 2020

Another year down, and it seems its the same. I'm beginning to think you are right, Adam. Too bad, though. This is pretty useful functionality for "enterprise" style/grade software and processes.

Like # people like this
1 vote
Danny Grenzowski _Rewind_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 14, 2022

Hey all, Rewind backups for Jira Cloud already has automated backups and restores for Projects (and other Jira data), and we'll be launching a self-serve Export option later this year.

Check it out: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1226389/rewind-backups

1 vote
Justin Warwick February 27, 2020

I would like to recommend to everyone to login and vote for this issue:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDSERVER-2741

there is also a linked Cloud edition issue there.

1 vote
Anil Kumar September 3, 2019

Hi Everyone,

All the issues in a single project can be exported in the formats below.Screen Shot 2019-09-03 at 6.02.45 PM.png

Go to the project>>search for issues>> Advance search>> search with the project name >> Click on Export and select the desired format.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Anil

Ralf Martin September 3, 2019

But you will not get Metadata around the project like Workflows, Custom Fields, etc.

As mentioned before, Config Manager from Botron or Project Configurator from Adaptavist can help here.

Anil Kumar September 4, 2019

Yes, Metadata cannot be exported. The above method is to have a backup/to import all the issues in a project to a new JIRA instance using a csv.

Justin Warwick March 18, 2020

Moreover, sometimes all one would want is the configuration and metadata, not the data at all. A truly complete solution would be a project export tool that could be scripted, but also has a nice admin wizard around it, and gave the options to export project config, issue data, or both.

Like Deleted user likes this
1 vote
Mayda Saldana July 18, 2017

Hi Lee,

I'm not sure if you have been able to come up with a solution to your question, but Onna (http://onna.com) integrates with JIRA.  You can index, process, and export data from a single project into a csv or dat file with its eDiscovery app.  Hope this helps! 

0 votes
Jannina Koskinen August 11, 2020

Hi everyone! hope you are all safe and well.

If someone is interested, I would love to chat and get your input regarding a possible future solution for Cloud to Cloud migrations in Jira. Please contact us at projectconfigurator@adaptavist.com and we could chat more about these possibilities! Your use case seems really valuable and I would be glad to hear more.

Best regards

Jannina

Deleted user October 29, 2020

How about you contact us since we'd be the ones who'd be supplying you with the requirements to make other customers happy.

Consider this a formal invitation.

Like Jannina Koskinen likes this
Jannina Koskinen October 30, 2020

hi Marcelo!

I dont have your email address to reach out to you, but if you would drop me an email to projectconfigurator@adaptavist.com that would be great. I'll pick it up from there immediately once I see it. 

Have a great weekend

0 votes
Gabriel_Ajabahian October 21, 2019

What about using "Project Configurator for Jira" ? It supports export and import.

Nir Pengas February 17, 2020

This is a good option though not if you are using the Cloud version of Jira so it seems.

Screen Shot 2020-02-17 at 9.45.22 PM.png

0 votes
ArminLange April 24, 2018

Hi,

Is there a solution for JIRA Cloud available? Or would I need to perform my own engineering magic to create a solution? 

I check the above proposals but none are feasible (Configuration manager only works for server).

Mayda Saldana April 24, 2018

Hi Armin,

Check out this guide on how to collect and export from JIRA (cloud) with Onna: https://intercom.help/onna/current-integrations/web-integrations/how-to-collect-from-jira 

Hope this helps! 

Mayda

ArminLange April 24, 2018

Hi Mayda,

thank you for the quick response. I have reviewed the initial export description but it does not include the Project contents including JIRA security setups which I would require to export as well.

The project itself has no default workflow, the workflows from JIRA itself require exporting as well, are these covered?

Does Onna cover these open ends as well and then for JIRA cloud?

Please confirm.

Kind Regards,
Armin

Mayda Saldana April 24, 2018

Hi Armin,

Onna integrates with the JIRA Software Cloud REST API and collects the metadata available from that API. We support exports as well. Please feel free to email me at mayda@onna.com if you have any further questions.

0 votes
Sergey Grebenshchikov December 13, 2017

For my own (rather specific) use-case, I wrote this script:

github.com/sgreben/jira-project-export

It uses the JIRA API to export a project's issues and metadata as JSON.

You could probably also write an importer the same way (I didn't need that though).

James Sterling April 19, 2018

Thanks, giving this a try

Deleted user December 14, 2018

Jira indicates you can import JSON files, although I have not been able to make it work.

Maybe others have had success?

Suggest an answer