Creating test session automatically on transition

Declan Murphy July 16, 2015

Is it possible to automatically create a test session on transition of an issue without a user doing it manually? For instance, could this be done through a custom webwork action of some kind?

Just to clarify a little further, I would like the pop-up "createsession.jspa" to appear when a user transitions from a particular status. Is this possible?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ignat
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 21, 2015

Hi Declan,

For now, neither JIRA Capture or JIRA has this feature build-in.

Both products provide the tools, that could be used for that:

• JIRA can trigger a post-function on a workflow transition.
  • JIRA Capture provides REST APIs for Test Sessions.

But even having these tools, you would need to write some scripts to make these two work together.

--

Cheers,

Ignat.

Declan Murphy August 9, 2015

Hi Ignat, I had to put this issue aside for a little bit but I'm back to it and was hoping you could direct me towards the revelant documentation regarding JIRA Capture and REST so I can work on writing some scripts to handle this. Thanks, Declan

0 votes
Ignat
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 24, 2015

Hi Declan,

As you've requested, here are some more directions on how to handle this.

JIRA Capture provides REST APIs for Test Sessions

JIRA Capture does not have public API for the managing test sessions, so you have to use Capture internal APIs. Internal APIs means that breaking changes can be shipped with a version update.

The rest URL is:

/rest/bonfire/1.0/sessions

Mind that you may be running JIRA on some context, (e.g.: /jira/rest/bonfire/1.0/sessions)

The request payload is:

{"projectKey":"TST","name":"Demo Session","shared":true,"issueKey":[""],"defaultTemplateId":"","additionalInfo":""}

Content type has to be applicaiton/json. 

light-on Hint: you can browse the request data using Chrome Dev Tools activated, when creating a Test Session with a browser add-on.

JIRA can trigger a post-function on a workflow transition

JIRA provides webhooks, that can be executed on a workflow transition. More information is here: https://developer.atlassian.com/jiradev/jira-architecture/webhooks

Alternatively, you can use some marketplace plug-in that will execute the required rest call during the workflow transition.

Hope this helps.

--

Cheers,

Ignat.

Suggest an answer