Could I set up a kanban board on JIRA Service Desk?

Carol Emerick June 3, 2016

6 answers

1 accepted

6 votes
Answer accepted
Meck
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 3, 2016

Hello, Yes, you can. When creating a board (Menu board > View all boards > Create board) make sure to select the option "Create Board from an existing project" and select your Service Desk project. After that, to add the board into the service desk view, you can "Add a link" on the "Project Shortcut".

Did you have JIRA Software, right?

Regards. 

Carol Emerick June 3, 2016

Thanks! Yeah, I have it.

Like NicoleFoster likes this
James Oickle January 8, 2017

But service requests are not automagically added to sprints.

for some reason new requests are not showing up in the "To Do" column.

Any thoughts?

ardinent November 4, 2017

Screen Shot 2017-11-05 at 08.06.27.pngHi @Meck,

what would this mean?

rkhansuvarov April 6, 2018

Hi all!

Where is the "Add a link" on the "Project Shortcut"?

I can't understand last step.

Like Sam likes this
Meck
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 12, 2019

Add link is located at project menu.

You can add new links as a shortcut.

sivaramaraju indukuri April 27, 2021

Can you provide screen shot on how to add link 

2 votes
timothy higgins February 14, 2017

I followed the instructions above but my list of existing Projects does not include Service Desk projects just Jira. I am signed in as admin to both and the authentication is using LDAP.  I also have the applications (jira & servicedesk) linked , is there anything else I need to do

Tom Kostiainen September 14, 2018

Same problem here! The query shows the tickets but not the board.

Tom Kostiainen September 14, 2018

Just noticed the had a sub filter (jira default) set on the board. Remove it and the incidents show up.... just love how these new features mess up things.

Kevin Fine April 19, 2019

I'm having the same issue. When I create a Board in JIRA I don't see any of my Service Desk projects as options.

Derek Gold April 19, 2019

Read my info below

1 vote
Meck
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 12, 2019

As far I'm concerned you have to buy both (JSD and JS).

But you can try integrate Jira Service Desk with Trello, but it's not the same of use a native board.

Derek Gold April 12, 2019

What is the difference and disadvantages? Please help as your answer was vague on 'not the same', trello is trello not jira. But what do I not get with trello vs jira kanban and vice versa?

Jira Service Desk does not actually have Kanban/Scrum boards, but you can configure a kanban/scrum board to show service desk tickets. But please note, it has some restrictions, will not work as software projects do. You also need to have Jira Software for it.

Since Service Desk does not contain boards, this isn't exactly how it was designed for Agents to work on issues. You can still do it following the steps below, however, to have these users each using Service Desk and a Kanban board, each user will have a license for both applications (Jira Software and Jira Service Desk). With Service Desk Agents are typically more focused on using queues.

• Make queues for your team.

To create a board with service desk projects, please follow the steps below:

• 1. Log in with an administrator account;
  • 2. Go to boards menu;
  • 3. Click on "Create Board";
  • 4. Make sure to select the option "Create Board from an existing project" and select your Service Desk project;

After that, to add the board to the service desk view, you can "Add a link" on the "Project Shortcut".

Also, please refer to the following documentation, where it recommends other solutions:

• JIRA Service Desk: Can you apply boards to JIRA Service Desk projects?;

JIRA Service Desk (JSD) does not ship with a boards function, as it's unusual to manage service requests in this way. But, if you also buy JIRA Software, you can get Kanban board functionality and apply it to JIRA Service Desk projects.

Like # people like this
Dan Kuzmicki June 28, 2019

had this same issue. following the above instructions exactly solved it. I also added another few projects to the mix and it still worked well. Thanks @Derek Gold 

Rich Imbrogno May 21, 2020

This is great. Thank you. Are the permissions to view the board carried from the Service Desk permissions or are they set elsewhere. Ideally, I'd like these to be the same.

0 votes

So we need to buy both help desk and the other jira agile for kanban to work?

Or

Can I just add trello app to the project and the tasks will copy live from the help desk project?

Julee Smith April 12, 2019

Great question.

Would love to know this, too. 

Like Imperial Fleet likes this
Pallavi Swamy January 6, 2020

same here.  Is there an app in the marketplace that allows this? 

Like Imperial Fleet likes this
0 votes
Keith Shaw January 31, 2018

While its possible your users will require JIRA software permissions to view boards. 

0 votes
Danny Marx March 7, 2017

We are using a number of projects to manage incoming support as well as development tasks as they are identified and would like to organize using a board.

I cannot find the option to create a board anywhere in my instance.

I am using JIRA Service Desk, but do not have JIRA Software.

Is it possible to configure a board to organize issues as they are coming into projects from the Service Desk portal or email submission? We've also set up a generic intake project that we were thinking of configuring for some issues that the user was unsure where to assign the issue.

Thank you for your assistance

Brent Webster
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 8, 2017

Danny,

Boards are not available in JSD standalone, you need to have Jira Software installed as well.

Like Meck likes this

Suggest an answer