Can the control chart include time that an issue has been in its current column?

Matthew McClure August 20, 2017

It seems that the control chart excludes time that an item has been in its current column. As a result, the chart does not show a picture of how the corresponding process (selected columns / states) is currently performing; instead it shows an incomplete picture of how the process performed in the past.

If some work gets stuck in the process, for example, the effects won't be visible in the chart until much later, when the slow items eventually exit the process.

It seems like it would be better to be able to see the effects earlier, so that one can intervene and help get work flowing again. I imagine if that option existed, it would plot items currently in a selected column at (x=now, y=elapsed time in selected columns including time since last transition into the current column).

To make a real world analogy, imagine if the control chart were to plot pieces of clothing flowing through the laundry. As it seems to behave today, the control chart wouldn't show me if a sock were stuck in the washer. If, instead, the control chart were to include time spent in items' current states, I'd see an outlier corresponding to the sock in the upper right corner of the chart, and I'd see the rolling average time increasing.

Am I understanding how the control chart works correctly?

Is there an option to include items that are currently in one of the selected columns?

0 answers

Suggest an answer