Can't Convert Issue to Subtask - one issue type

Damon Gaylor January 17, 2013

I have an issue type called Bug and it is used in all of our JIRA projects.

• I have one project, that I cannot convert the Bug to a SubTask.
  • The menu option is not there.
  • It is there when I look at different issue types for the same project. It is there when I look at Bug issue types in a different project.
  • I am in the Administrators and Users group and these allow for every Issue permission that I could think of.

I must be missing something and hoping someone can help.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
richie_gee
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 17, 2013

Note that you will not be able to convert an issue to a sub-task if the issue has sub-tasks of its own. You will first need to convert the issue's sub-tasks to standalone issues (see below); you can then convert them to sub-tasks of another issue if you wish. Sub-tasks cannot be moved directly from one issue to another — you will need to convert them to standard issues, then to sub-tasks of their new parent issue.

This is quoted from the documentation of converting sub task, refer below for the documentation.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Creating+a+Sub-Task#CreatingaSub-Task-converting

Hope this helps, cheers!

Damon Gaylor January 17, 2013

dang, I'm embarrased. I thought I checked the subtasks and you are correct. There was a subtask on the issue. Thanks for the quick response Richie.

richie_gee
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 17, 2013

No problem, glad to assist :)

Phebe Sawan January 17, 2019

Wow! I had to go back to the old view just to see the Convert to Sub-Task option. Any updates how we could find it on the new view?

Like # people like this
Benjamin Lee March 22, 2019

@Phebe Sawan very helpful thank you. Seems like an oversight on their side to omit being able do this form the new view.

Thus far I've not been impressed by their "new" changes being it new view or next-gen projects.

Like # people like this
Javier Joaquin July 26, 2019

For those of us in the next-gen board who do not have the option to convert to subtasks yet, you can do an issue search, and then bulk change and move issues to achieve it.

Like Bob Rogers likes this
0 votes
Paul Wright April 16, 2020

I've just been through this to guide some users internally on the process, and happy to drop my screen shots and steps below in the hope this may help.

• Open the ‘Ticket’ you want to move.
  • From the ‘More’ drop down, select ‘Convert to Sub-Task’

1.png

• Select the new ‘Parent Issue’  and New Sub Task Type

2.png

• Choose next to progress, and Finish to finalise the change.

• As some of the field entries may be missing (where the forms are different), you will now need to Edit the newly created Sub Task and Enter any missing information.

Hope this helps

Suggest an answer