Can I disable time tracking on tasks but enable it on sub-tasks?

Valerie Boudreau October 20, 2015

We want to track the time on the sub-tasks of tasks and not track time on the task itself. People continuously accidentally track time on the task. When they track it on the main task, we cant' track how long each of the sub-tasks takes and we need those numbers. Can I disable time tracking on tasks so they won't keep making this mistake? 

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 20, 2015

So, the real issue with your request is that Permissions are set Per Project but you're desiring to set it per issue type. This is NOT possible!

But, we can have an alternative path. We know we have Workflow Properties, which let you modify permissions-per-state. You should be able to use Workflow Properties in JIRA Cloud. A property exists that lets you enable or disable Log Work permissions, so feasibly you can use a different workflow on the SubTask issue type, which allows Time Logging. And a different workflow on the Task issue type, which doesn't allow Time Logging on any status ever.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/workflow-properties-189949.html

Valerie Boudreau October 24, 2015

Steven, to my great delight, this worked! No more accidental hours on the wrong tasks! Can't thank you enough. Val

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 24, 2015

I am _so_ very glad to hear that! I encourage you to heavily test this from different Roles within your project because for one to misconfigure it plus it is buried deep within the workflow. However, these properties were introduced to fill the gap you've found, more granular permissions. Good luck! :) Steve

0 votes
Kian Pariwar November 9, 2016

I actually have the same question. But I was wondering whether another approach is possible:

I also want my team to use time tracking on the sub tasks only. So I decided to hide time tracking from the parent task. However I then had the problem, that I could not see the time tracking details in the parent task detail view (the 3 coloured time bars).

Is there a way to hide time tracking from the parent issue but still see the progress somewhere  as an aggregate of all sub tasks together?

Or is settng properties the only viable option?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 9, 2016

Do not "hide" the field. 

Remove the timetracking field from create and edit screens, but leave it on view.  Then use Stephen's answer for workflow properties to block the users from logging work

Kian Pariwar November 9, 2016

thx.

the the only way to do this is by taking away the permission from a specific user group to edit log work

Piotr Krajewski April 4, 2018

Hi

I would like to re-open question from this discussion.

How can I setup project to allow only time tracking in sub-tasks? Is it easy way for it?

Thanks in advance for all info.

/P

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 4, 2018

Same as above, it's not changed.

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 20, 2015

No, it is on or off for everything. And I don't believe the cloud allows scripting to intercept attempts to track time.

Suggest an answer