Order Issues in Planning board Priority

BarendB September 24, 2013

Hi There

I can I order issues in the planning board by priority

Below is a example of our backlog. It's very time consuming planning the next sprint as we'd oviously like to get higher priority issues done first.

It would be easier if I could order the tickets by priority then drag them the next sprint.

8 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 24, 2013

The default ordering is based on RANK. You can modify the filter query to sort based on "Priority" but then the ranking feature will be disabled. It will be one or the other!

Borek Bernard August 11, 2015

Did this change during the past 2 years? It seems pretty stupid to sort issues with the same / undefined rank "randomly", not by the priority.

Dave Koston January 20, 2017

totally agree. Why can't we sort by "priority DESC, Rank ASC". What's the point of priority if the "to do" column in the sprint board doesn't have the top priority stories at the top of the column?

Like # people like this
Adam Youngers January 31, 2018

+1

If I change to using priority, I'm not able to drag items up the page to drop them in the current sprint making it unusable.  You should be able to reset rank based off priority or allow me to drag an item at the bottom of a prioritized list to the active sprint.  An inline menu to add to sprint would work as well.  Or if the two lists were side by side so I could scroll one up. 

At this point I'm going to have to revert back to rank and whatever magic is determining the default for it.

Like # people like this
5 votes
BarendB September 25, 2013

Thanks Jobin

Here is how I applied it for anyone who wants to do it in the future, as it wasn't quite clear how to do it :)

In the Agile Screen

• Click Board -> Configure
  • Filter Tab -> Edit Filter Query
  • Switch to Advanced
  • Change filter query to something like
    "project = MyAwesomeProject ORDER BY priority DESC"
Greg Carpenter September 20, 2017

Thanks! I'll give this a try.

What I really want is multiple custom queries in the Backlog screen.

Like Shruti Ramani Patnaik likes this
Adam Youngers January 31, 2018

I tried this, and it did put the backlog in order by priority, but as soon as I scrolled far enough past the sprint into the backlog and I try to drag an item up the page does not move up and I can't change order to get it closer to the top.  Unless there is another way to add items from backlog to a sprint besides dragging them in, this makes the UI unusable.

Like # people like this
J. Cook June 13, 2018

Right-click the item.  List of sprints appears, among other options (like batch edit).  Choose sprint in the menu.  You're good.

Not as nice/fun as D&D, but it'll do.

My problem is I can't get this priority ordering to work at all. :(

2 votes
Markus_COGNITIFF January 12, 2020

Jira doesn't support it out of the box, because it relies on the Rank field internally to store the relative positions if issues. If a board is sorted by anything other than Rank, then D&D stops working. 

As a possible solution, you can take a look at the plugin our company (COGNITIFF) developed to work around this limitation in Jira - Sort by any Field. Essentially the plugin will update the rank based on a rule that you define. 

I hope that helps! 

2 votes
A. Memnon July 30, 2018

I have a very simple workaround if you like.

Just create quick filters for every priority type (e.g. "blocker", "high") or any other criteria. In the backlog you simply can click on the desired filter to do a pre-selection.

Regrettably, though you can add the order by clause to the quick filter, JIRA will ignore it.

Nevertheless this way you can at least easily select all items you like and then right-click on one of if and either move them to the top of the backlog or directly assign them to the sprint you like to add them.

Of course not perfect, but this way you can at least give the backlog a rough structure having a different sorting criteria than the rank.

2 votes
Atli Guðmundsson October 29, 2013

This can also be achieved by creating Swimlanes (Configure -> Swimlanes).

Here is a sample list of Swimlanes that use jquery:

Name JQL

Blocker priority = Blocker
Critical priority = Critical
Major priority = Major
Normal priority = Normal
Minor priority = Minor
Trivial priority = Trivial

For further details see https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AGILE/Configuring+Swimlanes for an example.

Kristina McInerny November 14, 2019

Lightbulb over my head!!!  This is it.

Hanna Koreuber July 31, 2020

This is the solution for the problem I was looking for that let me here, Thank you! Duhh

1 vote
Valentin Tudor Mocanu February 7, 2019

Logically, in a Backlog, order and priority are two DIFFERENT thinks. Example: i cannot work an item with max priority if is not clarified.

Jira, please use the logic. Live long and prosper !

0 votes
Sarah Shepard February 8, 2021

Bummer not for cloud!

0 votes
Raj Domala August 15, 2016

Hi @BarendB, Just a question, not related to this topic. 

How did you scramble those words in your picture above, I need to do that when I post some pics from JIRA. Is that any online tool ? Software ? Thanks!

Suggest an answer