Automatic structure for team and business-projects with epic/userstory/subtask

Roman Joss
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 18, 2014

We are using Jira 6.0.6, Jira Agile 6.3.0.2 and evaluating Structure 2.6.0.

We use one Jira-Project for about 150 developers. For business-projects we use one to x Epics, the teamleaders split them in Userstories and Workpackage (custom Issuetype). The developers split dem in Task (Sub-Tasks). Each Issue (Epic, UserStory, Workpackage, Sub-Task) we use a custom-field 'project', so we can select all issues from the same business-project. We use a custom-field 'team' for each UserStory, Workpackage and each Sub-Task, so we can assigne the team which is responsible for the development. We also use the timereporting for reporting the worktime. the estimating-time we declare on the beginning.

I have studied the manual, but was not successful. That's the reason for this Question.

We would like to have a structure for each 'team' an for each 'project' that shows the structure
epic-userstory/workpackage-subtask. the structure should show the original-esimating-time, the worked-time and the esimating-time. the progres bar would be nice.

the structure should not be changable for the users, it should only show the progress for the hole structure. the structure should be possible to filter for task assigned to a specific person and should show the connected UserStory/Workpackage and epic.

Is something like this possible with this plugin?

Thank you for your help.

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Robert Leitch [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 27, 2014

Solved

The user on behalf of whom the synchronizers were running didn't have permission to edit the issues, and this box was checked in the structure configuration:

Although the Filter Synchronizer was able to pull issues into the structure, the Agile Synchronizer wasn't allowed to rearrange them.

1 vote
Roman Joss
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 7, 2014

That was a great tipp. thanks. Now we are trying to filter the issues to the current Sprint.

0 votes
Roman Joss
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 25, 2014

Hi Robert

I have done this with help of: https://wiki.almworks.com/display/structure/Installing+Synchronizer

It did not work.
I have created a new filter for one team with all Issues (Epis, UserStory/Workpackage, Tasks) and created a Filter-Synchronizer with this Filter. Result: all Issues are in the structure with no hierarchy - so far so good.
I then created the Jira Agile-Sychronizer with the corresponding Agil-Board. Result: the hierarchy still does not exists. all Issues are in flat list.

What do i wrong?

Thanks again

Rising Star
Rising Star
March 25, 2014

Roman, could you open the JIRA issue page for any one of the issues that should be under an Epic, and make sure that the field 'Epic link' is present in the Details panel and that it contains the name of the correct Epic?

Roman Joss
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 25, 2014

Robert, we have installed the german-version. so we have the link 'Epos-Verknüpfung'. But even if i change my language to 'English (United States), the field is still written in German. Could there be the problem?

Rising Star
Rising Star
March 25, 2014

No, that sounds fine. I'll need to take a closer look at your synchronizer settings - can you add my contact in Skype? It's r.leitch

Rising Star
Rising Star
March 25, 2014

Also, what versions of JIRA, Structure and JIRA Agile do you have?

Roman Joss
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 25, 2014

As we could not use Skype in our company, that's not possible. I have a conference-tool, which we could use. So we only could speak on skype. would that be al right? I found two names. My contact: jossrosi

Rising Star
Rising Star
March 25, 2014

Roman, I'd like to see a screenshot of your synchronization settings page, if possible.

If you can't send that by Skype, could you please email it to me at robert[a]almworks.com

0 votes
Roman Joss
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 18, 2014

Hi Robert

Thank you for your detailed answer. I will try this again with your hints. In my first try the UserStories/Workpackages where not below the Epics.

I will return with my findings.

Regards, Roman

0 votes
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 18, 2014

Hi Roman,

This can be achieved using Structure's synchronizers.

Each team structure would use a filter synchronizer to automatically populate the structure with issues belonging to that team (the filter would look like team = teamname) and keep it updated with any newly created issues that match the filter.

Business-project structures would also be populated using a filter synchronizer in the same manner.

In order to keep these structures in sync with JIRA Agile (and to get the Epic-story-task hierarchy) you'll also need an Agile Synchronizer in each structure.

Your structure boards can then be set up to show any combination of columns (which represent JIRA fields). Simply add the Original Estimate, Time Spent and any other columns you need.

I'll refer you to the documentation for the progress column, as there are quite a few options for configuring how to calculate and display progress there. You will probably want to see progress based on time tracking.

In order to make a structure read-only for users, you can set permissions per structure for groups and project roles. Note that there is a feature that lets you copy the permissions from another structure. This makes it easy to set the same permissions for a number of structures.

Hopefully that will get you pointed in the right direction.

Best,

Robert

Roman Joss
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 25, 2014

Hi Robert

Unfortunaltly i do not have access to the links you have given. Who can i ask to get the login?

Thanks, Roman

Rising Star
Rising Star
March 25, 2014

Hi Roman,

Sorry about that, I fixed the links and they should all work now.

Best,

Robert

Suggest an answer