ServiceDesk Notifications Confusion

BruceOLD November 17, 2013

We implemented the new service desk with its own notification scheme. For the event, 'Issue Created', for example, we added a notification for the reporter to get an email, and then added a group of administrators to be notified as well. Only the reporter gets the notification. We tested this for several event types and see that only the first notification item works, and any subsequent notification item set for the same event do not get an alert.

How can all items receive the same email?

9 answers

1 accepted

19 votes
Answer accepted
Judd
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 25, 2013

No problem, glad to help :)

3 votes
zlanich February 1, 2017

@Judd Garratt I'm having a very similar issue. I'm using JIRA Service Desk and none of the "Request Participants" get email notifications. I'm using mostly out of the box configurations and when I look at the "Recipient options" on this article: https://confluence.atlassian.com/servicedeskcloud/managing-service-desk-notifications-732528936.html, and look at the ones I have available, I'm only seeing 2 options on my side: http://dp.zachlanich.com/QRua - How can I fix this?

Peter Kroh September 13, 2017

I have the exact same problem!

Vladimir Horev _Raley_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 10, 2018

Peter, Zach,

You can send notification to any parties involved with SD request by using our add-on Raley Email Notifications

Best,

Vladimir

Mike May July 18, 2018

So maybe you are being held up in the same way I was: After I, as an agent, created an issue, I did not realize that the Request type field would need completion. It was defaulting to "No match." Once I had a valid value in Request type (e.g. Get IT help), anyone I added to Request Participants would get a notification. No Request type, no notification. 

1 vote
Timo Pitkäranta June 26, 2015

We are using Atlassian Cloud Service Desk. We have now created custom Notification Scheme for all Service Desks, since also our customers complained they are receiving too much emails and it is hard to pick the one which is relevant. Below is our custom scheme

notification-scheme.png

I don't know what I am doing wrong but notifications with above configuration works in testing like so

Roles

• Reporter: Mr Brown 
  • Request Participant: Mr White
  • Project Lead/Assignee: Mr Blue 

Steps

1. Mr Brown creates ticket in customer portal and adds Mr White as Request Participant
    1. Mr Blue ("Project Lead") receives notification -> OK
    2. Mr Brow ("Reporter") receives notification -> OK
    3. Mr White ("Request Participant") receives notification
      1. This is actually what I want but I don't know why this happens
      2. "Request Participant" role can not be modified in Notification Scheme
      3. "Request Participant" is not automatically added into "Watchers"
  2. Mr Blue assigns the ticket to himself
    1. Mr Blue does not receive notification -> OK
      1. Notifications not sent for own changes
    2. Mr Brown does not receive notification -> NOT OK
      1. According to Notification Scheme, "Reporter" should receive notification
    3. Mr White does not receive notification -> OK
      1. According to Notification Scheme, Mr White should not receive notification
      2. However, it would be great if "Request Participants" were automatically added as "Watchers"
      3. Otherwise the Mr Blue has to manually add all "Request Participants" into "Watchers" first and assign the ticket only after this
  3. Mr Blue comments the ticket
    2. Mr Brown receives notification -> OK
    3. Mr White receives notification -> OK
      1. However, according to Notification Scheme, Mr White should not receive notification (since he is not a watcher)
  4. Mr Brown comments the ticket
    1. Mr Blue receives notification -> OK
    2. Mr Brown does not receive notification -> OK
      1. However, according to Notification Scheme, Mr White should not receive notification (since he is not a watcher)
  5. Mr Blue edits his comment
    2. Mr Brown receives notification -> NOT OK
      1. According to Notification Scheme, no-one should receive notification
    3. Mr White receives notification -> NOT OK
      1. According to Notification Scheme, no-one should receive notification
  6. Mr Blue resolves the ticket
  7. Mr Blue reopens the ticket
    1. Mr Blues does not receive notification -> OK

Also, the change in workflow status sent notification and since there was no possibility to disable that from Notification Scheme, I had to rename both "Waiting for support" and "Waiting for customer" statuses to "Open". This is really inconvenient. 

1 vote
Judd
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 18, 2013

Hi Bruce

Are you asking about Service Desk notifications or about JIRA notifications?

Service Desk sends custom email notifications to the reporter of an issue created through the Customer Portal. These notifications are triggered when the issue is created, when the issue is resolved, when another user makes a reporter-visible comment, and when there is a change in 'status name' visible to the reporter through the Portal.

When an issue is created through the Customer Portal, Service Desk suppresses emails that would be sent to the reporter by the project's notification scheme. In this case the reporter is also prevented from becoming an auto watcher on the issue to prevent duplicate notifications.

So a seperate group of users won't recieve the custom Service Desk emails. However, standard JIRA notifications should be sent to users aside from the reporter according to the project notification scheme. Is it standard JIRA notifications you're failing to recieve?

BruceOLD November 18, 2013

I apologize for not being clear. I received way too many email notifications when I used the default notification scheme with the service desk. So many emails were received, the users would complain. Because of this I created a custom notification scheme for the service desk to use. Maybe its the notification scheme that I need help with, and not the service desk after all.

Anyway, in creating the new scheme, I would add a notification for 'Issue Created' and tell the system to email the reporter. It only allows me to add a single email target at a time so I have to add another email target to 'Issue Reported' for administrators. I add a group , Jira Administrators, and then test it by loggin in as a user and creating an issue. The reporter gets a notification but the administrators do not. How can I ensure all are notified?

Judd
Atlassian Team
October 22, 2014

Okay cool. My suggestion would be to go through the troubleshooting steps for a group not recieving notifications. A number of different things might cause the behaviour you describe and that will help narrow it down.

BruceOLD October 22, 2014

All of a sudden, with no changes, and over the weekend, it started working. We received a flood of notifications, and they are coming in fast now. The troubleshooting post didn't help me solve it but did help me reduce the number of notifications received. Thsi issue is resolved. Thanks for your help.

0 votes
Timo Pitkäranta June 29, 2015
0 votes
Timo Pitkäranta June 28, 2015

Ok, if i understood correctly, Notification Scheme which is assigned to Service Desk project has no effect for customers but only for users with JIRA licences.

When opening settings "Administration" -> "Add-ons" -> "Service Desk" -> "Configuration" -> "Notifications" I can either set the service desk notifications on or off.

• When off, customers won't receive any mails
  • When on, customers receive mail in following event
    • when they raise a request through the customer portal, 
    • when their request is resolved, 
    • when another user comments on their request, 
    • when the comment is edited and 
    • when there is a change in the request's status (workflow status)

...but there is no way you can configure customer notification scheme? So, either customers receive too much notifications or none?

0 votes
Fabrizio Galletti
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 22, 2014

if i remove from my notification schema, the issue create mail to reporter, does the service desk mail notification come to the customer anyway or not?

0 votes
Zans McLachlan October 22, 2014

Is there a way to customize this "hidden" Service Desk notification scheme? We are OnDemand, btw.

0 votes
Judd
Atlassian Team
November 19, 2013

No problem. It sounds like the issue may be with the notification scheme. Were you trying to setup the 'Issue Created' event to look like this?

BruceOLD November 19, 2013

Yes that is exactly what I was doing, except the reporter was first.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events