Service Desk not correctly instantiated after upgrade

Andreas G. Nie-Fröhlich May 4, 2016

Hi,

currently, we're trying to update from JIRA 6.4.13 with Service Desk 2.5.9 and JIRA Agil to JIRA 7. Unfortunately, we can't get Service Desk up and running. The Service Desk Sidebar doesn't appear when opening our old Service Desk project, we can't create new Service Desks, and we can't switch to Service Desk via the link in the profile image since there is no Service Desk section. Also, there is no way of accessing the Customer Portal.

Here's what we did:

1. make sure that all plugins in our old installation are up-to-date
  2. re-index the installation
  3. shut down JIRA
  4. save the robots.txt and 4 GIF icons that we use in our old installation
  5. download and run the installer atlassian-jira-software-7.0.10-jira-7.0.10-x64.bin (we're on Linux)
    1. upgrade option 3 is chosen
    2. no backups (as we're on a virtual server environment and can roll back a snapshot)
  6. copy robots.txt and the icons back into the JIRA folder

Once the system comes back to life, updates are made on the add-ons. There's a remark that unsupported add-ons are present, which can be deactivated. This deactivates JIRA Service Desk. After that, the system is re-indexed.

Then unter "Applications", JIRA Service Desk is installed. Strangely, after the install, JIRA Software seemed to be de-installed. But after a reboot, everything seemed fine. Under "Application", I see that both JIRA Software and Service Desk are installed and licensed. Under Add-Ons, I see that some Service Desk add-ons are inactive: JIRA Service Desk, JIRA Service Desk Project Plugin and Service Desk Automation Modules Plugin. Other add-ons like JIRA Service Desk Application or Service Desk Automation Plugin are active.

What can be done to get the system up and running correctly?

Cheers
Andreas

PS: Here are some screenshots:

list of add-ons:

add-on-list.png

Application access list:

application-access.png

Create Project menu:

create-project.png

Service Desk Sidebar

sd-sidebar.png

License list:

license-list.png

Service Desk Project roles:

roles.png

My user's groups:

group-name-list.png

My user's profile links:

profile.png

3 answers

0 votes
JiraYo
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 24, 2019

Just had this happen today going from version 4.1.0 to version 4.4.2

- No queues

- site will not index with an unspecified error

I have a whole 20 step process for updating jira that i followed again today. Basically its install jira service desk (which upgrades core at the same time in my understanding). Then go to the system section and upgrade jira software from the backend GUI.

Is this not the correct way of doing it? i have been doing it that way for two years. All applications seemed to upgrade correctly. I will be analyzing the logs that i pulled off before i restored the snapshot, but i am wondering what the correct procedure of upgrading is.

There are only two errors that i can see. one about a missing DLL

24-Oct-2019 08:26:32.481 INFO [main] org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener.lifecycleEvent The APR based Apache Tomcat Native library which allows optimal performance in production environments was not found on the java.library.path

and another about a depreciated property

24-Oct-2019 08:23:43.206 WARNING [main] org.apache.catalina.startup.SetAllPropertiesRule.begin [SetAllPropertiesRule]{Server/Service/Connector} Setting property 'maxSpareThreads' to '75' did not find a matching property.

However i removed that property and it still did not let me load up queues. and i restarted the server several times.

I do also see this from the stdout log:

Caused by: org.springframework.beans.BeanInstantiationException: Failed to instantiate [com.burningcode.jira.plugin.customfields.ComponentWatchersFieldType]: Constructor threw exception; nested exception is java.lang.NoSuchMethodError:

Perhaps it was just a plugin that wasnt updated.. i will try and make sure everything is updated before trying again.

JiraYo
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 25, 2019

Re did the upgrade this AM and it was successful.

Firstly, i had to go in and update the atlassian plugins, such as component watcher.

Secondly, i almost made the same mistake again today. During the upgrade, you are asked to log on with a LOCAL user account, not SSO. I have no idea why.. but thats how it is. the local account did not have access to the queues that my SSO user has.

Either of these two things probably accounts for the queues not appearing yesterday. I also noticed that insight was doing an indexing of its own which took a good ten minutes after i online-ed the site. This may account for the indexing failures as again, i have no problem indexing the site today.

0 votes
Andreas G. Nie-Fröhlich May 6, 2016

Sorry for late reply, I had to wait a bit until I got enough points here in Answer to be able to post more than 2 comments in 24h.

Anyway, in the meantime, I've managed to find an upgrade path that seems to work. Apart from the Core only installation package, JIRA is available either as a Software or Service Desk bundle. So far, I did most of my tests with the Software bundle which always led to Service Desk not working when it was installed after upgrading using JIRA Software 7.x.

This time around I used the Service Desk bundle package to upgrade to JIRA 7. After the install, I updated all add-ons that were out-of-date and did a re-indexation. Then I installed Software via "Applications and Versions" and did a re-indexation again.

Now I have a working Service Desk and Software all in one up-to-date JIRA instance. I'll have to do some more testing to see if all's well but at least for now I'm closer than ever to having an up and running system.

Maria Thoma March 16, 2017

Hi,

i'm currently facing the same situation. I have upgraded our JIRA server from 6.3.15 to 7.2.7 and our Service Desk (previously was add-on) from 2.3.5 to 3.2.7 and i have exactly the same problem with you. I can't see the ServiceDesk Portal, the configuration settings, etc. If i understand right your workaround was to install the ServiceDesk throught the JIRA service Desk installer and that will also install the JIRA server software? And to do that, do we need to unistall the current installations of the JIRA server and JIRA Service Desk?

Andreas Testor March 16, 2017

Short recap: Atlassian offers three installers: plain JIRA Core, JIRA Core & JIRA Software, and JIRA Core & JIRA Service Desk. If you update using the JIRA Core & JIRA Service Desk installer, you will (most likely) get a working installation of JIRA Service Desk with an upgraded underlying JIRA Core. After that you can go to "Applications and Versions" in the JIRA admin area and install JIRA Software.

At least that's the trick that did it for me.

This process worked for me when I started out from our older version. I didn't try uninstalling an already messed up installation to re-install again. Your best bet is probably start again from scratch with version 6.3.15, install the JIRA Core & JIRA Service Desk installer and then install JIRA Software through the admin panel.

Maria Thoma March 17, 2017

So, I need to rollback to the older version first and then try this way

Andreas Testor March 17, 2017

at least that's what we did. I can't tell you if you need to do this as well but to me it meant the cleaner start without hidden side effects that might not be apparent at first sight.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 4, 2016

The Service Desk stops being an add-on and becomes an application in JIRA 7.

Have a look in "manage applications" and see if you can add and configure service desk from there (it should pick up all your old add-on data)

Andreas G. Nie-Fröhlich May 5, 2016

It might not have been visible on the screenshot so I've increased their sizes.

To install Service Desk, I indeed went to the Application area of JIRA 7. Initially, I had an "Install" button which I used to install Service Desk, as described above. And the result is the current state where no Service Desk functionality is visible but under "Manage Applications", Service Desk is said to be installed.

Also, in another attempt, I uninstalled and re-installed Service Desk again, still no luck. The Service Desk functionality simply doens't show.

Is there anything else I can check for errors?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 5, 2016

In the "manage applications" section, do you have users/groups set up for access to the Service Desk functions?  People who don't have the right permissions will find the SD functions are hidden from them.

Yes, I have users in the Service-Desk-Agents group.Also, I am in the Service Team role in the project, as you can see in the screenshots above.

What other permissions might be missing?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 6, 2016

Nope, that should be all you need. I couldn't make it out from the screenshots, sorry.

What does the "manage applications" screen look like

the information in the "Manage Applications" screen can be found in the "License list" screenshot, if we're talking about the same "Manage Applications" section.

Since we have a 3 user agent license and have reached our limit, there's a button next to it that says "Upgrade". For JIRA Software we're using an eval key, which is why there's a button labeled "Buy now" next to it.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events