What is the difference between JIRA Administrator and JIRA System Administrator?

Richard Cross May 19, 2016

The documentation is rather vague on this:

• JIRA System Administrators: Permission to perform all JIRA administration functions.
  • JIRA Administrators: Permission to perform most JIRA administration functions. 

could someone provide a more specific answer?

4 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 19, 2016

This is where the new documentation for version 7 seems to be letting Atlassian down, in my opinion.

See the rather better doc at https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira064/managing-global-permissions-720412521.html#ManagingGlobalPermissions-sysadmin

For version 7, you'd want to add something about the admin access to "applications" (i.e. Service Desk and Software) which is similar to "add ons", but other than that, the 6.4 docs cover the difference properly.

1 vote
Allie Ruby August 14, 2019

I'm still not understanding. The documentation says there is an exclusion list...but what CAN a JIRA Administrator do?

I'm specifically looking for:

• create spaces
  • create JSD
  • Create groups
  • Create custom fields
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 14, 2019

They can't create spaces, that's the job of a Confluence administrator.

They can create Service Desk projects, groups and custom fields.

Basically, they can do everything the system admins can except the exclusions - the list of "can do" is far longer than "can't"

Like # people like this
Allie Ruby August 14, 2019

Thank you so much for this prompt reply! Exactly what I was looking for :)

1 vote
Christoph May 3, 2017

For what it's worth: Here's the link for the 7.2 documentation on this issue:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver072/managing-global-permissions-828787760.html

0 votes
Tim H_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 1, 2016

This page is helpful for understanding the answer to this question in JIRA Cloud.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events