Is there a "backlog" in Kanban?

Anders August 15, 2016

We are going to start using Kanban instead of scrum, but I have a concern regarding the total list of all tasks. On my Kanban board I would prefer only to show those issues with the highest prio. All the other issues I want to have in another list, almost like a backlog.

Can this be solved  within Kanban?

5 answers

3 votes
Roland Paulus November 14, 2016

hi!

when will this feature be available on JIRA Server, as it's already available in JIRA Cloud?

Thanks, Roland

jérôme vanhille January 3, 2017

Hello,

Is someone has the answer?

How can I know the content of the news future JIRA server releases? please

Thanks

2 votes
Deleted user August 15, 2016

As a matter of fact, there is!

It will require that you enable JIRA Software Labs, but an Admin can do that. Review the information here;

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/jira-software-labs-764478187.html

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 15, 2016

As I mentioned in my answer, only on cloud not on server version of JIRA.

Deleted user August 15, 2016

Tarun is correct for the Cloud vs Server observation!

And even in the Cloud, we used his suggestion of two boards until this feature became available. In some of the projects we still use two boards as there are multiple "planning" statuses that we track.

Anders August 15, 2016

Thanks for your answer. I asked my administrator to follow the instruction, but he can't the topic Application/JIRA Software/JIRA Software Labs/Kanban backlog. Perhaps we don´t have the latest version.

I think I go for two kanban boards solution.

Deleted user August 16, 2016

That probably means you have the Server version of JIRA (installed on your own server). The Labs update is not available for that system configuration, only Cloud.

Nigel Morse August 19, 2016

Sounds like just what I was looking for - when can we try this on Server version please? smile

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 19, 2016

Hi @Nigel Morse, yes ofcourse you can try it on the server version, see my answer below

1 vote
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 15, 2016

Backlog isn't possible with Kanban boards on server version.

On cloud it's available in Labs feature - https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/blog/2016/02/make-way-for-backlogs-in-kanban-boards

If you are using server version then I would suggest to use two Kanban boards, one for backlog prioritizing and the other for Actual day to day work. 

Ian Gable May 25, 2017

Hi Tarun, is there an estimate of when the backlog feature will be available on Jira Server? We are using exactly your suggested solution here, but it's really not suitable when trying to sort and prioritize a backlog.

Daniel Schaeffer August 13, 2017

Was there ever an answer to Ian's question?

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 13, 2017

Backlog is now available on JIRA software server 7.4 

Release notes here - https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftware/jira-software-7-4-x-release-notes-902079634.html 

0 votes
Jon Cooper August 15, 2016

I always set up scrum projects for managing the backlog, because I like the process of grooming the backlog better on Jira's SCRUM interface when working with PO's. However, for non-scurm projects, I create a second board called ProjectName-Kanban for managing the tasks. Literally all we use the Scrum board for after that is backlog grooming. The dev team uses the kanban exclusively for task management.

Because the kanban is based on the same filter as the scrum board, any changes in priority on one are reflected in the other.

0 votes
Avril Bower
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 15, 2016

Hey Anders, 

Although there is not a backlog in Kanban like there is in scrum you can still accomplish this useing the filter that your board runs on by adding AND Priority is in (P5, P4) or what ever your priorities look like. For the lower Prio's you can set up a separate board for them. Not I deal but may be worth a shot. You could also give the quick filters in Board config a shot so that you can see the different prio's in the different Quick filter views.

Hope this helps.

Avril   

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events