How to set a due date

eiger3970 April 10, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Due Date Field is Missing

Hello, I have created several Business projects and some issues, however there is no option for setting dates?

I read about the permissions thingy, but I'm the administrator and the user already as edit rights.

10 answers

36 votes
Euclid D Souza June 21, 2018

Why is it this hard to set such a simple feature that hundreds of other project management apps can simply do?

Dakota Clark May 6, 2019

Jira in a nutshell

Like # people like this
ostrigu June 5, 2019

Same here: everything 'checked': project permissions to schedule issues, visibility, presence on the screen, field configuration. Yet due date it is not visible on the issue details.

Like # people like this
8 votes
Shenly Glenn June 17, 2018

I am having the same problem. I and a team mate have admin rights. We've set the permissions and we checked the due date box. It still isn't showing up. We've probably spent 1 whole person day trying to sort this out and still now luck. This is basic PM requirement. It's absolutely ridiculous that this is not naturally part of the app. 

Jim McNeely June 18, 2018

I concur. It's ridiculous that this is so difficult.

Like # people like this
Prakhar Jagariya July 11, 2018

i am also facing the same issue.

not able to figure out even after spending so much time on it

Like # people like this
Charles Prior July 15, 2018

I have been working on this for an hour, all my settings are correct as per above and I still cannot see a due date on issues. It's ridiculous that Issues don't have a due date by default and shouldn't be this hard. Can someone please provide further info / help? 

Like # people like this
Prakhar Jagariya July 16, 2018

Hello @Charles Prior , Even i faced the same issues and could not due date eventually.

Later i changed my template (which was agile earlier i changed to Scrum and Project management) and i could see the due date afterwards.

please try to create new project using the different template and check

Like test test likes this
Victor Demianenko October 25, 2018

Hello guys,
Just want to share how I solved this issue:

1. Administration > Issues >Screen Schemes

2. Open default scheme (in my case it's WEB: Scrum Default Screen Scheme)

3. Open default issue type (in my case it's Default)

4. Open default issue operation (in my case it's WEB: Scrum Default Issue Screen)

5. Add Due Date field

Like # people like this
Friendly Giant December 5, 2018

That is fine, though a long way around....thanks @Viktor Demianenko

Mendy Ezagui February 3, 2019

Thanks @Victor Demianenko... WOW. Again, these guys found the way to make it impossible to figure out. 

Hello product team:

As a user, I want to be able to easily add/modify fields on my layout so I can do my job easily. 
Acceptance criteria: when on the layout of a JIRA item, if I'm an admin user, add the little gear icon to edit layout and permissions. 

I finally added the Date field, and I find the filter is set to only INCLUDE!!! 

Screen Shot 2019-02-03 at 5.20.57 PM.png

Can anyone recommend a more user-friendly alternative?!  

3 votes
Jim McNeely July 24, 2019

I got an email today on this that said "your comment has been viewed 36,000 times!!! Jump back in and join the community" I jumped back in to see this is still a live issue. So they want us to post complaints about it, they just don't want to actually do anything about it. Great.

Jim McNeely July 24, 2019

As soon as I posted this I got an email that said "Congrats! you earned the Level 2 badge!" Ha ha ha! So I can earn badges by bitching about their convoluted product. Fun times! Let's see if I get a Level 3 badge for this comment.

Like # people like this
Charlie_Fortuno July 24, 2019

Isn't that pretty sad that 36k people all had an issue just trying to add a due date to a task? It's like having a car without a door handle. This shouldn't happen. 

Like # people like this
Martin Bayer _MoroSystems_ s_r_o__
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 24, 2019

Ok guys, I tried to read this theme but I'm not able to find out what is the real problem here (there are so much answers and no complete description of the problem).

I have fresh installation of Jira 8.3.0 (server) and I can see all the options to create issue with Due date, edit it via "Edit" screen and even inline edit. See screenshots pls:

Selection_299.pngSelection_300.pngSelection_301.pngSelection_302.png

Can you describe the problem from start so other people can help you?

3 votes
Pablo Leone November 29, 2018

It's funny... I can add a due date field to a screen and associate the screen to a transition, but I can't set a due date when creating the task. I've walk through all possible screens and nothing...

We're all skilled people, we know scrum, we know development and how to use the internet and even a computer, but we struggle to use Jira! 

I would suggest firing the manager that's behind the Jira UI and UX..hire someone else, you'll do all a favor!

3 votes
Tibor Hegyi _META-INF_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 10, 2016

Hi,

Your user will need Schedule Issue permission as well. This drives who can set the Due Date field.

Also make sure the Due Date field is on the screen used for creating, editing or viewing the issues.

Tibor

1 vote
Claudia Mendoza June 14, 2018

I am trying to do the same, and Due Date is actually on the View Screen field list. However, I don't see it unless I click "Edit". 

Does anyone know a way to quickly add a task and include a Due Date?

1 vote
eiger3970 April 16, 2016

Thanks. What is the path to adjust these settings? I would have expected these settings to be default.

Tibor Hegyi _META-INF_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 17, 2016

Open the project's administration page, go to Permissions and check Schedule Issue. You will see who is assigned to this permission. It may be empty or set to some default project roles your users are not member of.

Like Priyanka Natarajan likes this
eiger3970 April 17, 2016

Thank you.

I navigated to JIRA 7.1.2 > Administration > System > SECURITY > Global permissions > nothing there about scheduling or setting due dates?

Tibor Hegyi _META-INF_
Marketplace Partner
April 17, 2016
eiger3970 April 18, 2016

Yes, I read your link about permissions. The permissions all look default and allow Copy and Edit.

I can't find Schedule or Schedule Issues?

I navigate to JIRA 7.1.2 > Administration > Issues > I see nothing about Schedule?

Tibor Hegyi _META-INF_
Marketplace Partner
April 19, 2016

well, let me explain again:

• Administration > Issues > Permission Schemes
  • Open one of the permisison schemes
  • Scroll down and find the permission "Schedule Issues"
  • Make sure it is configured properly for your project
  • Also make sure the Due Date field is on the screens your project uses: 
  • Administration > Issues > Screens
  • Finally make sure the field is not hidden: 
  • Administration > Issues > Field Configurations, open the field config used by your project and check if the due date is not hidden.

Like Ron Scott likes this
eiger3970 April 22, 2016

Okay thanks, I checked all of those clear paths.

All seems good in the settings. I guess I'm using JIRA wrong somehow.

I ended up using BigPicture which had due dates and a nice Gantt chart.

However upon reboot, only Portfolio for JIRA is in the top navigation bar. So, back to square one, figuring out how to make a similar style Gantt chart in Portfolio for Jira.

I guess something like listing x amount of issues, then dragging these issues into a sprint perhaps?

I have monthly recurring tasks to complete.

KirstenManica December 15, 2016

I am working through this need, also. I have made sure that the permissions are correct and that the due dates are enabled in my configurations of fields, yet I don't see the field on the front screen of my issue..

MoroSystems Support
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 27, 2017

The due date field must be located in the configuration of the relevant screens for the project. It must be in the View screen and either Create or Edit screen.

KirstenManica July 28, 2017

Thank you!

Eric Barnes March 5, 2018

I have been working through this for a while.  From my perspective, setting due dates for this purpose is overly complicated.  It should not be this hard.

Like Johannes Schneider likes this
Jim McNeely May 30, 2018

I agree with Eric Barnes. Ridiculous.

Like Keren Phillips likes this
Prakhar Jagariya August 1, 2018

Hello Guys,

please try to change the template of JIRA to something else from what you are using right now.

May be the settings which you are doing right now is not for your current template.

Adi Ray August 10, 2018

This is so hard 

Adi Ray August 10, 2018

How about simple screen shots step by step. I cannot add "Satisfaction date"

0 votes
Mark Cowell August 17, 2019

Thanks. What is the path to adjust these settings? I would have expected these settings to be default.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Funny Prank Videos

Martin Bayer _MoroSystems_ s_r_o__
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 17, 2019

What settings do you need to adjust? Can you describe your problem? 

0 votes
elie April 9, 2019

any news about this please? Due Date field for tasks?

Charlie_Fortuno June 21, 2019

This is really hard to do... just to add a due date. I'm struggling myself.

0 votes
Nguyễn Vĩnh Nam August 27, 2018

I don't understand, 2 years ago everyone can created task so easy. Today my team went back to use Atlas, the app walked me through til that point I struggled to create one simple task. There was no due-date field, and when I clicked Create, it asked me to set due-date. How? 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events