How do I find the total amount of story points completed for all issues under a given epic?

Michael Lefebvre February 9, 2016

On my Kanban boards, under the Epic boxes, there is a bar that indicates the amount of story points completed for that epic based on the sizes and statuses of the Stories that belong to that Epic. That seems to be the only place that this information is available.

I would like to display this information in reports that I publish on JIRA Dashboards and on Confluence pages. I can not figure out how to write a query in JQL to retrieve or calculate these values. This would be very helpful in reporting progress of major components to stakeholders.

Can anyone provide insight in how to do this?

4 answers

0 votes
alex.lee November 6, 2019

so much easier to get to on pivotal.

0 votes
Danut M _StonikByte_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 26, 2019

You could use the Issue Filter Formula Gadget from our Great Gadgets add-on to calculate the sum of a field and display it on your dashboard.

0 votes
Deleted user June 21, 2017

You can also use the Plugin Epic Sum Up:
https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/aptis.plugins.epicSumUp

Best Regards,

Viktor Zech

0 votes
Fidel Castro
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 9, 2016

Hi Michael,

You can use "Mathematical and date-time expression calculator" post-function (available with JIRA Workflow Toolbox plugin) for setting a number custom field in Epic issue with the total amount of points resolved. I show you how to do it:

In this example the number custom field to be set is called "Completed Story Points".

You should insert "Mathematical and date-time expression calculator" post-function in a transition of your Epic's workflow with the following configuration:

Captura de pantalla 2016-02-10 a las 11.19.10.png

Formula used is:

sum(fieldValue({11906}, filterByStatus(linkedIssues("is Epic of"), "Done, Completed, Resolved, Closed")))

Note that:

• {11906} is field code for custom field "Story Points" in my particular JIRA instance. You should replace it with the correct one in yours.
  • I have considered issues in statuses "Done", "Completed", "Resolved" and "Closed" to add their story points to the sum. You should use the ones valid for your workflows.

Regards,

Fidel

BW July 15, 2019

Thanks for this!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events