Google User creation, assigning correct Atlassian groups.

Daniel Scott January 25, 2018

Hey Guys,

When we onboard a new staff member they are created an email account in our company domain. We add them to the staff group which then triggers the generation of their Atlassian account.

This account is created with base sign in privileges. They can log into Confluence and Jira but can't see any spaces. As we have some external users we have two additional Atlassian groups that open up Jira and Confluence to internal staff.

Only internal staff gain access to our Atlassian Suite via the Google sync. We are using Cloud hosted services.

I can't find a way to set that when Google creates a user in Atlassian, they automatically get assigned these two additional Atlassian groups.

We're hoping to this in order to remove manual effort when taking on new staff. 

I've been doing quite a bit of searching through the Atlassian documentation and can't seem to find an answer to this.

Any help or advice is appreciated.

1 answer

0 votes
Kieren December 4, 2023

Hi @Daniel Scott 

I see this has been unanswered for 5 years... For you and anyone who are still looking for an answer to this, unfortunately there is no feature within admin.atlassian.com that will allow you to do this. It's a huge pain point for Atlassian Admins who want to utilise the default or custom Atlassian groups.

There is an upcoming app that could help with this, it's about to be released in a free closed beta (around mid December 2023). If you're still interested (after 5 years), have a look at smolsoftware.com. I'll also update this post when the app is launched in January 2024. 

-Kieren
Co-Founder @ Smol Software | Ex-Atlassian

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events