Getting SCRUM certified in Houston? Is it worth it?

Michael Arndt
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 20, 2019

I'm debating whether it's worth getting scrum certified. I've looked at courses here https://www.simplilearn.com/csm-certification-training-houston-city and the idea of shelling out $1300 for 2 or 3 days seems pretty crazy.

Is it worth it at all? I read the book Scrum: The Art of Doing Twice the Work in Half the Time  and spent a lot of energy putting together Jira for my team and have been researching and watching a lot of videos so I get a pretty good grasp of the concept. 

Because I'm the one who is spearheading Scrum as a project management model I've sort of fallen into the role of Scrum Master. Since we're not developing software is there any value in these certifications? Will getting certified make me a better scrum master overall?  

4 comments

Comment

LarryBrock
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 23, 2019

Thanks for posting @Michael Arndt !  I'm excited to see some traffic in our little neck of the Atlassian Community!  I don't really have an answer but perhaps one or two of our community members will give some feeback.  Cheers!

Amanda {Praecipio} August 2, 2019

Hi, Michael! 

I went through my CSM ~ 6 years ago. As much as I learned from all the books and online videos and webinars, it wasn't until I attended a course that I felt I learned the framework well. My instructor was awesome and made it a point to help us learn by doing. The exercises we did as teams helped me better understand what the framework was all about. 

I've relied on this certification A LOT when discussing agile transformations and good team practices. Did it make me a better Scrum Master? I'm not sure I can answer that, but the teams I've worked with seem to appreciate it. Hope that helps! -a 

Like Veronica Kolstad likes this
Michael Arndt
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 2, 2019

Which course did you take? Was it in Houston?

Amanda {Praecipio} August 20, 2019

Hi, Michael! 

I went through ScrumAlliance for my CSM. However, I took mine in Austin as my boss and I did it together (the company I work for is based up there). However, the Agile groups here that I'm involved in have good things to say about the courses local to Houston. -a 

Michael Arndt
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 30, 2019

Is there any value to these classes if my company isn't software based?

Michael Arndt
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 30, 2019

Also, how long does it take to get certified? 

Veronica Kolstad August 22, 2019

I agree with @Amanda that the course is worth it to really get that deep knowledge and understanding through exercises, questions and conversation. But if you want to try scrumming on your own first, I believe the PSM certification from Scrum.org doesn't require a course to take the certification exam, so the entry cost is less. However, the exam is more difficult and I don't know that the certification is as well-recognized as CSM.

I got certified in NYC through CollabNet when I worked there, and I really enjoyed my instructor. Lithespeed is the preferred provider for my company in Houston, but I haven't attended their course.

Good luck!

Like Amanda {Praecipio} likes this
360digitmgdata July 20, 2020

Really nice and interesting post.

We at 360DigiTMG expose you to various Data Science techniques using a various tools.

<a href="https://360digitmg.com/india/data-science-using-python-and-r-programming">360digitmg data science course in india</a>

manshita pal November 10, 2020

saw the beautiful himview with your family at affordable budget <a href="http://www.himviewholiday.com/shimla-manali-tour-package-from-chandigah-6d-5n/">Shimla Manali Tour Package</a>.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events