Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wiki hipchat integration working with personal token, should I use integration token?

Mike Fuller July 26, 2015

I have our private wiki sending notifications to our HipChat account using a personal token via api V2. It's working well. I guess I'm a little confused about when I should use an integration token as opposed to a personal token. The documentation says to look at integration token for long-lived integrations. Well as long as we have our wiki and continue to use HipChat I foresee using this integration. However, this is only for our private wiki and not for a MarketPlace deployment.

So should I switch to an integration token?

Thanks.

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Conor
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 27, 2015

Mike,

If the personal token setup is working well for you then you can continue with that approach. The only real issue is that the private wiki will be effectively impersonating the user to whom the token belongs. Anyone with access to the token can impersonate that user, which may not be desirable, especially if it were a real user.

An integration token is probably more suited to your situation as it gives a clear separation between users and external systems but it is probably a subtle distinction. Another advantage is that the integration token approach does not use up a licensed user which may be a factor if you are on HipChat Plus or HipChat Server.

0 votes
Mike Fuller July 27, 2015

Thanks for the clarification.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events