Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

when deleting a message or file, is that just the user facing deletion or does it delete the actual storage of that file message completely?

Peter Yamamoto February 17, 2016

So I shared a file I didn't really want to. Now it is existing on some server(s) somewhere. When I use the delete functionality does it delete all instances of that file on all the server(s) it was saved to when I shared, or I am simply deleting the user facing shared message and not the actual file in all its saved/cached locations?

1 answer

2 votes
Daniel Eads _unmonitored account_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 18, 2016

Hi Peter,

Deleting the message/attachment from history will permanently delete the attachment from S3 as well (where the attachment is stored. You will get a prompt notifying you of this when you attempt to delete a file:

Screen Shot 2016-02-18 at 8.10.52 AM.png

Also see the note that users who've already received the message will still be able to see the attachment preview in their client until they close/re-enter the room or quit and restart their client (to clear the message cache). If they do actually click on the attachment link however, they won't be able to access it:

image2016-2-18 8:18:0.png

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events