how do i actually delete a message? the documentation is not accurate.

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Delete messages and files

The linked documentation does not work.  In Chrome Version 51.0.2704.84 (64-bit) on OSX 10.9.5, there is no 'x' that shows up when you hover over the message.

This is a particularly painful issue because a colleague of mine recently sent me a link to a very large (ca. 8000x8000) image of Pluto, and now every time I start HipChat it locks up for several minutes while the image is re-downloaded.  I can't just suppress display of all images since I need to be able to share graphs and diagrams.

Update: Yes, I am aware of the fact that you have to go to the web interface for this and I am 100% certain I am following the instructions correctly.

3 answers

0 vote
Steven Behnke Community Champion Jun 13, 2016

You must go into the interface, not the application. Here you can see a Rooms tab.

image2016-6-13 17:24:30.png

Click on your room, press History, and then hover over the desired message.

John Collins Atlassian Team Jun 14, 2016

Good point. This is not in the chat interface, but in the portal.

0 vote

I'm on Mac OSX 10.10.5 and using the same version of Chrome. I just tested it and it is working for me.

Are you sure you did step 5 which is "click View above the message you intend to delete"? After you click view, you are directed to the section of the conversation that contains the message. At this page you need to locate the message you want to delete, hover over it and you will see an X with a "Delete this message" tool tip. That is where you can delete the message.

Yes, I'm sure I followed the instructions.  I can see the message in the history interface; the problem is that there is no 'x' or indeed any control that shows up on hover.  There are no per-message controls at all in that interface.

That sounds like a bug. I'd suggest contacting support@hipchat.com to report it. They should also be able to delete that problem message for you so you can use HipChat again. 

0 vote
John Collins Atlassian Team Jun 14, 2016

It's possible for your administrator to turn off your ability to delete messages and files. Then, only the admin can do it for you because admins can delete any message or file shared in any room.

If you do have the ability to delete, this is in the HipChat web portal, not in the app or web chat interface.

Screen Shot 2016-06-14 at 5.14.37 PM.png

View

Screen Shot 2016-06-14 at 5.15.26 PM.png

The X is in the upper left.

Yes, this is the interface I am attempting to use; no, the X does not appear on hover.

Your suggestion about permissions seems plausible, in which case the bug is more about the UI being confusing.  If deletion is not allowed, some sort of indication on the page would be helpful.

Peter, you might be running into permissions. Are you an "admin" class user or a room administrator? Did you author the message you intend to delete?

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published 9 hours ago in Hipchat

Moving from Hipchat to Stride? Here’s what you’ll love

Heya, Hipchat friends! We’re so happy you’re checking out   Stride. Whether you know it or not, you have been instrumental in making Stride come to life. Every feature, design, and functionality...

37 views 0 4
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you