Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hipchat ssl: How To

szilberberg October 7, 2015

I need help understanding how to create a valid SSL certificate for HipChat so I can integrate it with JIRA and Bitbucket (Formally stash). I think the SSL is holding me back and I just dont understand what I am doing wrong. Without a valid SSL certificate, I can't integrate HipChat into any of my other Atlassian softwares. I would love if someone could give a reference document or a step by step on how to do this.

I have already followed this REFERENCE DOC and followed the steps. The only step I am fuzzy on is 

Send your CSR to a certificate authority (CA), who creates the SSL certificate for you. (You can search online for a CA.)

Regardless, I would really like some additional help on how to do this. I've created everything else and when I upload the certificate in the format defined in the above doc, the server is still untrusted by the web browser.

1 answer

0 votes
David Maye
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 8, 2015

Hi Steven,

Certificate authorities are the entities that digitally sign and create SSL primary certificates for you to use. This wikipedia article explains their role more in-depth and has a list of the top companies that issue these certs.

For HipChat Server, you generate a CSR (certificate signing request) with your private key and company/domain info which then you give to a CA. Once the CA has validated the info you've sent them, they generate a 'primary' certificate (digitally signed with their brand) and send it over to you to install in HipChat Server. Any app that has this brand name root certificate stored in the app's 'trust store' can read your installed SSL cert and verify that it is legit so a secure channel to communicate can be setup. This is a VERY simplified version of how this works, by the way.

I would urge you to reach out to one of the CA's and see if they can assist in generating the CSR (as it's not specific to HipChat) or if you have any further questions on the process to get that info to them.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
-David
HipChat Server Support Engineer | Atlassian

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events