hipchat datacenter configuration error: Cannot translate 'hipchat.example.com' to FQDN name Edited

When running  'hipchat datacenter restart' I receive the error: 'Cannot translate 'hipchat.example.com' to FQDN name -- Name or service not known'.  This domain does not exist in the configuration that was passed into the 'hipchat datacenter configure' command.  A subsequent call to 'hipchat datacenter selfcheck' tells me to run configuration first (which of course fails).  Any ideas?

admin@hipchat:~$ hipchat datacenter restart
Updating system configuration, this may take a few minutes...
Cannot translate 'hipchat.example.com' to FQDN name -- Name or service not known
admin@hipchat:~$ hipchat datacenter selfcheck
ERROR: Node is not fully configured, run datacenter configuration first. 'server'
admin@hipchat:~$

1 answer

It appears setting a hostname is required - the node won't pick it up on startup even if its configured in DNS.

sudo dont-blame-hipchat -c "hostnamectl set-hostname hipchat1.example.com"

Even after setting the hostname, however, I am told to run datacenter configuration first.

admin@hipchat701:~$ hipchat datacenter restart
Updating system configuration, this may take a few minutes...
admin@hipchat701:~$ hipchat datacenter selfcheck
\ERROR: Node is not fully configured, run datacenter configuration first. 'server'
admin@hipchat701:~$

Traced this down to the fact that we were attempting to use an empty password for the postgres connection.  The lack of a password meant that the system was not fully configured.  No error messages clued us into this - I had to look through the _datacenter.py file to see what it was trying to do on restart and selfcheck.

After supplying a password the system would be fully configured on restart and selfcheck would complete.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Nov 14, 2018 in Hipchat Cloud

Hipchat Cloud and Stride End of Life: Just over 90 days away

Earlier this year we made the difficult decision to discontinue our team messaging tools, Stride and Hipchat. The end of life date for Stride and Hipchat Cloud is quickly approaching - February 15, 2...

495 views 0 2
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you