Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hipchat datacenter configuration error: Cannot translate 'hipchat.example.com' to FQDN name

Brian Baker October 3, 2017

When running  'hipchat datacenter restart' I receive the error: 'Cannot translate 'hipchat.example.com' to FQDN name -- Name or service not known'.  This domain does not exist in the configuration that was passed into the 'hipchat datacenter configure' command.  A subsequent call to 'hipchat datacenter selfcheck' tells me to run configuration first (which of course fails).  Any ideas?

admin@hipchat:~$ hipchat datacenter restart
Updating system configuration, this may take a few minutes...
Cannot translate 'hipchat.example.com' to FQDN name -- Name or service not known
admin@hipchat:~$ hipchat datacenter selfcheck
ERROR: Node is not fully configured, run datacenter configuration first. 'server'
admin@hipchat:~$

1 answer

0 votes
Brian Baker October 4, 2017

It appears setting a hostname is required - the node won't pick it up on startup even if its configured in DNS.

sudo dont-blame-hipchat -c "hostnamectl set-hostname hipchat1.example.com"

Even after setting the hostname, however, I am told to run datacenter configuration first.

admin@hipchat701:~$ hipchat datacenter restart
Updating system configuration, this may take a few minutes...
admin@hipchat701:~$ hipchat datacenter selfcheck
\ERROR: Node is not fully configured, run datacenter configuration first. 'server'
admin@hipchat701:~$
Brian Baker October 6, 2017

Traced this down to the fact that we were attempting to use an empty password for the postgres connection.  The lack of a password meant that the system was not fully configured.  No error messages clued us into this - I had to look through the _datacenter.py file to see what it was trying to do on restart and selfcheck.

After supplying a password the system would be fully configured on restart and selfcheck would complete.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events