hip chat connect back end API with Add-On

Kristin Apgar November 4, 2016

I have followed the Tutorial Guide and setup a Node.js server to host my add-on.  I used the ACE framework to create the add-on as detailed in the Tutorial.  I can install the Add-on and it adds global web hooks, a glance and a sidebar.  When I try to use the back end api of the add-on to update anything (glance) or send  a message to any room nothing happens.  

Is their logging somewhere of the post commands to HipChat server where I can inspect if the sendMessage and updateGlance functions (came with the framework) are actually doing anything.

Thanks

1 answer

0 votes
crivers
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 4, 2016

Both the sendMessage and updateGlance methods use the general `request` method to perform the HTTP request. You should be able to pass a rejection function to handle the case where the request fails for some reason. For example

hipchat.sendMessage(req.clientInfo, req.identity.roomId, 'my message')
	.then(
        // this gets called if the request is successful
		function (data) { res.sendStatus(200); },
        // this gets called if the request fails
		function(reason) {  console.log('request failed: '+reason); }
	);

You can also modify the `request` method itself if you are having issues debugging why the request isn't getting completed. Any console.log call in your Node.js server code should show up in the terminal you're running it from

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events