Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

couldn't load hipchat, try again

Julianne Skinner February 13, 2018

Using Hipchat 3.1.1.

I've verified the entries on this page: https://confluence.atlassian.com/hipchatkb/hipchat-clients-unable-to-connect-to-hipchat-server-couldn-t-load-hipchat-861013212.html

and the only thing that looks different is our site.json file.

I've checked ports, DNS, etc.

We have three VM's which have postgresql, redis, nginx, and hipchat installed.

I've gone through the logs but nothing is blatantly standing out as to errors.

Any help would be appreciated.

1 answer

1 vote
David Maye
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 21, 2018

Hi Julianne,

The KB referenced is geared more towards HipChat Server and not necessarily HipChat Data Center, even though a lot of architecture and configuration files are the same between the two.

Usually, the first step you want to take is to look at the browsers built-in dev tools page after trying to load the web app and see what errors are shown.

h6. Developer Tools in Chrome
# Select More Tools > Developer Tools from Chrome's Main Menu (three-dots button).
# Navigate to the 'network' tab, select 'Preserve log' and reload the web page.
# (Optional) Press Command+Option+I (Mac) or Control+Shift+I (Windows, Linux).

Also, log into your PSQL hipchat database, look at the configurations table and verify that the fqdn value is listed correctly.

If everything checks out, please file a support ticket over at getsupport.atlassian.com and we can go into more in-depth troubleshooting steps.

EDIT: Here's a quick page on changing the FQDN in the PSQL hipchat database: 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/hipchatkb/how-to-update-the-base-url-fqdn-of-hipchat-data-center-945548852.html

Cheers,
-David
HipChat Server/Data Center Support Engineer | Atlassian

Julianne Skinner February 26, 2018

Thanks so much!  That resolved my issue.

One note though, for the command to change the FQDN in psql database, the referenced article states to use this command: 

SELECT configurations SET value='new-hipchat.example.com' WHERE key='fqdn';

I got an error with that command but when I changed out "select" for "update" it worked.

David Maye
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 26, 2018

Hi Julianne,

Ah, that it does! I'll get that updated ASAP, thanks for the headsup.

Cheers,
-David
HipChat Server/Data Center Support Engineer | Atlassian

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events