Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

chat with two or more people without to use room

Marcos Nery August 26, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Chat 1-to-1

Is possible to talk with two or more people without to use rooms? only chat?

3 answers

0 votes
Sean Mc Laughlin November 17, 2017

I would love to be able to create groups of people locally in my client (without creating a room). It would help greatly organising my contacts. Just a local tag on a user that says which "local groups" they belong to.

I would love that to tie in to the creation of an ad-hoc collaboration chat as described above.

andrew.kirby December 11, 2017

I strongly agree with the suggestions by Sean and Marcos. In my organisation the lack of support for the creation of an ad-hoc conversation between two or more people is a very limiting.

We are trying to reduce or dependency on email for ad-hoc comms. We use HipChat rooms extensively for ad-comms with predefined teams.

A lack of this capability is a key reason why we are considering a move to Skype for Business and Microsoft Teams as a replacement to HipChat.

0 votes
Marcos Nery August 30, 2016

Thanks Chris

Skyemonet Jones January 3, 2020

hi marcos

0 votes
crivers
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 26, 2016

To chat with more than one other person, a room is required. If you'd like to limit the conversation to just a certain set of people, I'd suggest making the room private and inviting only the people who should have access.

Marcos Nery August 30, 2016

Thanks

Mark Ohlin October 30, 2016

Hi Chris,

For our team of 40+ there number of rooms required to cover the combinations of people we may want on any given chat. Many (most?) of our chats don't fit nicely into the one person or room options. Rooms work great for projects or teams but not for adhoc, multiple person conversations.

This is the single biggest issue my team has with HipChat and based on their will likely cause me to look elsewhere. Are there any plans to include in upcoming releases?

thanks,

Mark

crivers
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 1, 2016

Ad-hoc conversations is definitely something on our roadmap, but is currently in the earlier design stages, so we don't have a specific date for when it might reach a full release. In the meanwhile, we welcome suggestions at https://help.hipchat.com. You can follow and vote on this one as well, which sounds like what you're looking for: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/HCPUB-431

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events