Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

change room name

Julia Grogan March 30, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: HipChat Help

I am the HipChat admin for my organization. I need to change the name of a room and I cannot find documentation on how to do this and there is no intuitive way either. Can you please tell me how?

Thank you!

Julia

2 answers

1 vote
Julia Grogan March 30, 2016

Apparently this is not possible through the web interface. Just the local client. Documentation of this somewhere may be helpful to other admins. 

0 votes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 30, 2016

Hey Julia!

Check out the documentation link below, specifically under the Managing Room heading:

HipChat - Managing Rooms

Thanks!

Julia Grogan March 31, 2016

That page does not say how to change the name. Try to follow it. If you log in to HipChat in your browser and head to Group Admin > Rooms and then look for a "rename" option on the list of rooms, there is none. If you open the summary of the room itself, there is still no option for changing the name. 

The only place I found it was to use the client, click New Chat to enter the room and then use the "..." to get the menu that includes rename. 
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 31, 2016

Yeah, it's definitely not intuitive, which is a bit annoying.

Historically, I've always gone to Group Admin -> Rooms -> Open in Web App, and changed the room names from there, (under the '...' menu, as you found).  I agree that having a rename option directly on the room admin page would save some confusion.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events