Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Desktop App only shows a blank, white window

Bill Casey December 20, 2016

Frequently the HipChat App for Windows 10 desktop app will restore from being minimized and only be a blank white window. The problem does not resolve itself unless you explicitly log out, close the app, and restart it. Even then, sometimes this will not fix the issue and using the in-browser version is the only way to access hipchat.

Sometimes, the App works fine for several days, sometimes it will encounter this problem within minutes. Several other people in my organization experience the same issue, but after troubleshooting and research we do not think it to be a graphics driver issue or a group policy problem.

6 answers

9 votes
Bernd Hesse November 22, 2017

Cannot update the graphics driver on my machine (no updates available), but copying
C:\Program Files (x86)\Atlassian\HipChat4\opengl32sw.dll
to
C:\Program Files (x86)\Atlassian\HipChat4\opengl32.dll
seems to be a workaround :D

Edit:
What also seems to work:
Add a new user environment variable named "QT_OPENGL" with the value "software" and reboot/relogin

Easy way to set it: Create for example a file "qtopengl_software.reg" with the following content:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Environment]
"QT_OPENGL"="software"

and run it.

Or Carmi November 23, 2017

Thanks, this worked for me.

What a silly and embarrassing bug...

Stéphane Houtteman November 28, 2017

Thanks, this worked for me also.

mselvamoorthy November 28, 2017

This worked for me too.

Melina Neofitos November 29, 2017

We had this issue with the Dell Dock Display Link drivers.

Renaming opengl32sw.dll to opengl32.dll and updating the Displaylink Drivers worked. 

Greg Meece December 4, 2017

Our team experienced the "HipChat crashes on start" when we switched over to HumanScale DisplayLink adapters for KVM. I've been using the web app ever since. Just tried this. Ta-dah! Thanks so much!

DanielJ210 December 13, 2017

I'm editing this reply, originally this said that the above did work for me as well but apparently it did not. I'm getting a blank black screen instead of the white that everyone else is getting.

Koji Flowers February 7, 2018

This worked for me.

Robert Williams February 8, 2018

worked for me

Blake Facey March 1, 2018

Worked here after some Windows Updates seemed to have broken it.

Hao Doan May 22, 2018

Thank you! That was it. Weird!

Rachel A_ June 4, 2018

Worked for me!

Joanna Hatcher June 29, 2018

works! thank YOU!!!

WAEL JAZMATI January 24, 2021

Works for me, Thanks

2 votes
Christian Stokes February 8, 2017

Hey Bill,

Not sure if you are still having this issue, but I had it as well.

Running the above version too.

Do you happen to have more than one monitor?  If so, try dragging the HipChat window to another monitor.  This brings the display back for me.

(you can then move it back to your desired monitor)

Bill Casey February 14, 2017

I have two monitors. I tried moving the window between the two monitors and that did not fix it.

Brian West February 21, 2017

I'm having this same exact issue. I've even tried deinstalling and reinstalling HipChat.

Windows 10 Insider Edition on Fast Update branch, all the latest  updates from MicroSoft,

HipChat Version 4.29.5.1662

Fedy Yapary June 11, 2017

Same Issue,
HipChat Version 4.29.5.1662
Windows 10 Pro Insider

Lauge Kristian Noe December 29, 2017

Moving the window from my monitor to my laptop screen worked for me. However when I move it back to the monitor, it gets stuck again. 

Juan Navarro Arce January 8, 2018

Hi.

I has duplicates my screens and i has solve the problem

1 vote
jonathanhle_personal August 18, 2017

I had to perform a "clean" (deleted old prefs) reinstallation of my Nvidia drivers.  One of the Windows updates must have messed them up.  It was only Hipchat that was affected, so they must have been using a background library that was using GPU acceleration or something.  Not sure.   

I'm on a Windows 10 Insider Preview build with Quadro K1000M.

0 votes
Marc Aussie September 28, 2017

Updated my Nvidia software by going to Nvidia site and searching for updates for my driver. Windows told me they were updated in the device driver app, but after updating off the site, problem resolved

0 votes
John Beatrice July 5, 2017

Same issue. Persists after several uninstalls and reinstalls. Hipchat once ran problem free for this computer. Recently, I cannot keep it running.

Windows 10 Enterprise Version 1703 OS Build 15063.413

Using HipChat-4.29.5.1662.exe

0 votes
evanmichner
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 20, 2016

Hi Bill – Would you mind letting us know which Windows HC version you have? If you don't have the latest, please do update to 4.29 (available at https://www.hipchat.com/downloads).

Let's see if we can solve this one for you!

Bill Casey December 20, 2016

When I check the properties of HipChat.exe it shows the Product Version as 4.29.1662.0

Like chador wangmo likes this
Christian Stokes February 8, 2017

Hey Bill,

Not sure if you are still having this issue, but I had it as well.

Running the above version too.

Do you happen to have more than one monitor?  If so, try dragging the HipChat window to another monitor.  This brings the display back for me.

(you can then move it back to your desired monitor)

Bill Casey July 26, 2017

HipChat Driver Error.PNG

Bill Casey July 26, 2017

Here's an update. I had HipChat minimized to the system tray and I just randomly got error above.

1. When I opened HipChat again the window was blank
  2. After quiting again and then opening the app again, hipchat was working.

(Your anti-spam filter isn't letting me post the hipchat version and windows 10 version. I have no spam keywords or inappropriate language??)

Bill Casey July 26, 2017

HipChat: Version 4.29.5.1662 (Web Core 4.29.4)

Windows 10 Pro: Version 1703 (OS Build 15063.483)

Display Adapter: AMD Radeon R5 340X

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events