Will HipChat be replaced by Stride?

We have been using the licensed version of HipChat and wondering whether HipChat will be replaced by Stride. Will Stride be included in our package or we will have to pay separately if it is not migrated?

1 answer

1 accepted

Accepted Answer
2 votes

Dear Jeet Vora,

This might be the plan on the long term.. but not on the short time. And it is your choice. The following is true for HipChat and Stride.

What will happen to HipChat Cloud?

Starting soon, we will begin to upgrade all HipChat Cloud teams to Stride. HipChat Cloud will continue to work as it does today until your team upgrades to Stride. After upgrading, HipChat Cloud will remain in 'read-only' mode so that you can reference your API configuration in HipChat Cloud and receive integration notifications for those apps that are not yet in Stride.

Do you plan to sunset HipChat Cloud?

For now, HipChat Cloud will continue to be supported, but eventually we will encourage all HipChat Cloud customers to upgrade to Stride.

What about Hipchat Server?

Hipchat Server will keep working the same way that it used to. I will quote Atlassian;

'Hipchat Data Center will continue to be our self-hosted team communication solution and we will not be releasing a self-hosted version of Stride. We're increasing our investment in Hipchat Data Center and have shared some of our updates that are coming soon.'

Friendly Regards,

Jeremy Mooiman

And it is your choice.

Until it isn't. And why would anyone trust your judgment at this point?

dying of laughter right now

Steven Behnke Community Champion Jul 26, 2018

Right? What a god damn clusterfuck.

Yep. 

consolidation phase is happening in this industry now.

Indeed.

The plaintively earnest assurances of Atlassian's PR flacks were obviously hollow at the time of course, but the whole story is just hilarious in retrospect.

If they didn't want to invest more resources in HipChat development they should have just put it in the corner and not touched it, let remaining users keep paying for it.  Declining income, perhaps, but money basically for free since already implemented.  Or, worst-case, gracefully sunset it.  Instead they go out of their way to trash goodwill before giving up anyway.

I wonder how the gullible customers who took their assurances at their word feel now. "No Charlie Brown I won't take the football away this time, I promise"

I wonder how the customer service agents who chose to promulgate those assurances on this forum feel about themselves now.

I am a gullible customer who purchased a HipChat Data Center license under a year ago under the promise of new development on the platform. I'm pissed.

They continued to say even in this announcement that they're increasing development on that platform. I wouldn't count on it obviously but at least you have the bits on your own server now and they can't turn it off when you're not looking.

We'll likely be hosting and migrating to mattermost and forgetting about this bad taste.

I'd love to chat with you about your experiences with HipChat Data Center, and mattermost if you do it; mind if I shoot you an email @Steven Behnke? Obviously in Atlassian-land we can only rely on each other.

Oh wait, I was reading the confident promises of @Jeremy Atlassianabove rather than the new lies of @Joff Redfern.

How big do you think the class action will be?

@Tim Howe feel free, sfbehnke (at) gmail

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Aug 10, 2018 in Hipchat

What should I think about when migrating HipChat to Slack?

...from the beginning. We have built up a lot of content in HipChat, with it being a core tool in our distributed company model. While it is true that we didn’t need to move to Slack immediately, we felt it...

506 views 1 10
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you