Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why don't notifications work on iphone versions of hipchat?

TIMOTHY LITTLE November 17, 2016

I get neither audible nor textual alert notifications.

I have the app running, but when the phone is locked, or even  unlocked.. if I'm in another app, no notifications, no alerts, no banners, no audible signals...

3 answers

1 vote
David Maye
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 17, 2016

Hi Timothy,

If you're company is using HipChat Server, would you know if the HipChat Server has access to the internet? The way push notifications work is that we we route the message data to our push notification relay which then routes that data to the GCM or APNS (the push notification relays offered by Google and Apple), then those servers push the message to your device.

If HipChat Server doesn't have access to the push notification relay (barb.hipch.at via the internet) then it cannot send data to the GCM or APNS and the push notification will not be sent to your device. 

[HipChat Server System Requirements|https://confluence.atlassian.com/hc/system-requirements-for-hipchat-server-606306343.html] details this requirement.

If you're on HipChat Cloud, then I'd suggest filing a support ticket at support.atlassian.com so we can investigate further.

Cheers,
-David
HipChat Server Support Engineer | Atlassian

mark.barringer May 31, 2018

Hi David,

I also have this problem, I'm using HipChat Data centre and on the iPhone app, when I come out of the app, i.e switching app and pressing home, I don't receive push notifications. Notifications are enabled in the app settings itself and also within the ios settings. I also enabled Background App Refresh. 

The status of the user on the iPhone switches to away (amber) as soon as they leave the app (not logout) and the user gets emails.
I can see this from another HipChat terminal logged in as a different user. 

I think this is the problem but I cannot see a way of allowing the user to stay as active when moving away from the app in ios, I suspect that the os is terminating the connection when the app in background mode. 

The HipChat server does have access to the internet, as I can receive notifications on the android app without problem. When I put the app in background mode on android, my users status stays as active... 

Can you help? 

0 votes
JoCo
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 17, 2016

I think the notifications that you're looking for are the push notifications. Here's a few other details to check:

Make sure HipChat notices your phone.

1. Go to your profile > Notifications.
  2. Make sure that it says Enabled next to iPhone/iPad.

HC_ProfileNotifications.png

Make sure your notifications are turned on.

1. In the HipChat web or desktop app, click your profile picture > Settings.
  2. Go to the Notifications tab. If needed, adjust the settings there, especially under Rooms and Do not Disturb. (For example, if it's set to "Quiet," that would explain some of why you're not getting notifications.)

Screen Shot 2016-11-17 at 1.27.26 PM.png

Confirm your settings on your phone.

1. Tap the settings gear > General.
  2. Adjust settings as needed there. (Note: This is really just for in-app notifications.)

IMG_3966.PNGIMG_3968.PNG

0 votes
JoCo
Atlassian Team
November 17, 2016

Hi Timothy.

Have you taken a look at this in our documentation? Get and set notifications

Some notifications are set in your profile and some are set in the app.

I hope this helps.

TIMOTHY LITTLE November 17, 2016

The SMS doesn't work, it's a corporate server, SMS not enabled by the company.  I've reviewed those settings, as have others in my company and nobody's gotten such alerts to work over the iphones.

Michael Lansdown January 24, 2017

+1 for this. No idea what's going on or why it isn't working. Bit of a problem when some in our company are missing group communication regularly..

David Maye
Atlassian Team
January 27, 2017

Hi again,

If the HipChat Server is not connected to the internet, then any outbound traffic (i.e. push notifications and SMS, using Twilio) will not get sent out to your device because the notification is blocked.

If the HipChat Server is connected to the internet, then SMS needs to be setup globally at https://hipchat.mycompany.com/server_admin/notifications before it'll work. Your IT HipChat admin should have access to do that (assuming it isn't against your local policy).

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
-David
HipChat Server Support Engineer | Atlassian

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events