Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does HipChat not close when I click the X in the upper right corner in Windows?

Deleted user May 5, 2016

Why does HipChat not close when I click the X in the upper right corner in Windows? I have to use task manager to kill it.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Steffen Opel _Utoolity_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 5, 2016

This is a common usability approach for applications that are considered to be 'always on', i.e. also running in the background so that a user doesn't miss any notifications for example. Such apps usually feature a dedicated task bar icon with a resp. 'Quit' menu, and so does HipChat:

image2016-5-5 15:55:36.png

Accordingly, you should be able to cleanly exit HipChat by pressing the Start button, eventually expanding the notification area (many icons are 'hidden' by default these days), hovering over the HipChat icon and selecting the 'Quit HipChat' menu.

Deleted user May 5, 2016

Thank you for the answer. I disagree with the usability approach. Whether I miss notifications is my decision. Ofttimes, HC is a distraction. Important communications can also be conveyed by other means. The meaning of Close (X) should be consistent. Appreciate you taking the time to provide a comprehensive answer.

Steffen Opel _Utoolity_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 5, 2016

@Kevin Shanholtzer - I actually agree with you (am just describing the state of affairs): This could and should be handled differently, e.g. by offering the likewise common option to 'Minimize to taskbar icon' instead (IIRC this would at least be consistent with earlier Microsoft design guidelines on how to handle the 'Minimize' button for background apps, don't know about Windows 10 though). 

Deleted user May 5, 2016

(thumbsup)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events