Why does HipChat Server had so fewer integrations?

Hello,

I have both a free cloud HipChat from before we migrated to HipChat Server and I'm amazed how many more integrations are listed for cloud HipChat.  Why is it that the integrations are not the same between server and cloud?  Also, it would be nice for all integrations listed on the cloud or even better maintained on an Atlassian list if they all had links to their descriptor URL's so we could install anything we want on the server that is available in cloud.

Any reason the two systems are so different in integration availability?

Thanks

1 answer

Hi @Neal Culiner,

The underlying integrations server code is essentially the same between hipchat.com and HipChat Server.

AddOns must be able to target HipChat Server at its host and domain name vs. api.hipchat.com but are otherwise the same as well.

We're working on some improvements to help integration discovery so watch the HipChat Server Release Notes for updates:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/HC/HipChat+Server+Release+Notes 

For Bamboo to use HipChat server I had to add an etc/hosts (Windows flavor of it) so any calls that point to api.hipchat.com point to my hipchat server. Wouldn't the same work in this case? I could add this as an override, it actually already exists for me as it's the same server, then again hold that thought as HipChat server runs in the VM. Oh well, maybe something could be set that redirects all api.hipchat.com URL's to the hipchat server? Anyways, I'd like to see them align and show the manual install URL's of all integrations so one could be added at any time and all available disclose them. Thanks...

Agreed. botlab.hipch.at is a first start as a reference for other developers. We publish the integration URL under "Learn more". Still lots of progress to be made...

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Aug 10, 2018 in Hipchat

What should I think about when migrating HipChat to Slack?

...from the beginning. We have built up a lot of content in HipChat, with it being a core tool in our distributed company model. While it is true that we didn’t need to move to Slack immediately, we felt it...

509 views 1 10
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you