• Community
  • Products
  • Hipchat
  • Questions
  • When deleting a user in Hipchat Server will all his data including his personal data (including chats, rooms, etc.) be deleted?

When deleting a user in Hipchat Server will all his data including his personal data (including chats, rooms, etc.) be deleted?

In order to comply with European data protection laws we have to be able to delete all personal data belonging to a user from Hipchat Server. When I delete a user from the Hipchat Server will all his personal data be removed as well? Will others still be able to see his/her chats or rooms? Will any of his/her uploads still be identifiable?

Thanks

Andreas

8 answers

0 vote
Rahul Asave Atlassian Team Aug 20, 2015

Hi Andreas: No. When a user is deleted, the personal data is not be deleted. The user is disabled (not deleted) and hence others will not be able to see the user from the front end. 

Hi Rahul,

do yo have any suggestions or idea how to run Hipchat Server in such a way that it complies with European Data Protection laws? E.g. is there any way to completely delete all data belonging to a user, including chats?

Thanks

Andreas

0 vote

Hi Andreas: Not at the moment. We've considered this for sometime in the future. 

-Rahul

Thanks for the quick answer. Is it possible to delete the entries somehow directly from the elastic search?

0 vote

For a single user, unfortunately no. Its not that simple (I wish it were).

Hmmm, is it possible to archive user data out of the main system somehow?

I really need to find a way to comply with Data Protection requirements. Quite tricky...

0 vote

TBH, I don't think so. But I'll still check with the engineering team to see if there is a script under the hood that we could use. I'll get back to you once I have something.

0 vote
Rahul Asave Atlassian Team Aug 24, 2015

I checked with our team, @Andreas Funke. Unfortunately there is no easy way to do this right now. We have a story in our backlog to implement a clean delete of a user from the system. 

If I do find something that is usable, I will certainly let you know. 

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Mar 26, 2018 in Hipchat Data Center

Migration of Hipchat server to Data Center - a retrospective

...able to use the clients After a bunch of testing (rooms, memberships, check for private message history, and most importantly - the custom emoticons!) nearly everything was looking as we needed, however...

444 views 2 6
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you