What the initial admin user and password for HipChat Data Center OVA web interface ?

Hello,

I'm trying to evaluate a local installation of HipChat Data Center on ESXi Server.

I deployed the OVA file I downloaded yesterday on an ESXi server and everything worked fine so far. The server starts fine and I can open the web frontend of HipChat. 

But in the browser I only get a login screen when I access my hip chat server, but there was no point during deployment, where I was able to enter an admin user or password for the web frontend. I can't find any default password, nor an explanation on how to set it in any documentation I found.

Any support would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Robin

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Accepted answer

Hi Robin, 

If there isn't a /hipchat-scm/web folder then it's likely that your "hipchat datacenter restart" command failed with a Chef error.

Can you run it again and check /var/log/chef.log for errors?

Also, make sure you also deploy a reverse proxy/load balancer as well, otherwise web functionality will be broken.

Thanks. 

Hi Arbi, 

thanks for the hint.

The chef.log indicated, that I had a problem with my NSF share. I had to explicitly enable v4 support. 

After that, I restarted the server again and the /hipchat-scm/web folder was created. 

The last step I had to do, was to set up the reverse proxy, because as you mentioned, I was not able to access the server directly in the browser. 
Finally I was able to create a user on the sign_up page, but I still have an issue now. I can access my hipchat server via browser and iOS app, but I can't add other users. Seems like my initial user does not have owern rights. I tried Terrys command (hipchat service --reset-owner=new_email@youemailadderss.com) to set another mail address for the owner and I can see, that it does change the mail address of my initial user, but I am not able to add any other users to the server and I don't think I am actually able to administer the server at all. In my left menu I can only see: People, Rooms, Emoticons, Add-ons and My account, but nothing like settings, or anything, which I was expecting to administer the server.

Hope you can once more guide me into the right direction.

Oh and by the way, my evaluation time is almost over now, because of all the problems I had. Is there a way to extend the evaluation license in such a case ?

Thanks Robin

Hi Robin, 

This is strange as you should be the group owner if you're the first user to sign up. 
Let dig into that via the database: 

SELECT * FROM groups;

In the acl column, you will find the founder (owner), admins as well as the moderators (delegated admins) of your group. For example:

{"admin": [1, 208, 214, 222, 384], "moderator": [228], "founder": 1}

Make sure you have only one group with id=1
You can change the string value of acl to include your user ID as an owner, for instance: 

UPDATE groups SET acl='{"admin": [], "moderator": [], "founder": 2}' WHERE id=1;

Your user ID can be found in the output of the query: 

SELECT * FROM users;

If everything went well during setup, you shouldn't be facing this issue. 
Once you're done doing your initial tests, we recommend that you drop the database altogether and all the Redis keys and start over. 

Finally, here's how you can extend your evaluation license.

I hope this helps. 
Thanks. 

0 votes
Arbi Dridi Atlassian Team Sep 04, 2017

Hi Robin, 

If you downloaded the OVA after June 22nd from our website, you must be running HipChat Data Center and not Server. 

You can confirm this by running: 

cat /etc/hipchat-release

If this returns 3.x then you're on Data Center.

In this case, refer to Configuration requirements for HipChat Data Center deployment for the next steps. 

Thanks. 

Hello Arbi,

thanks for the reply.

My OVA is 

Atlassian HipChat 3.0.1 (2017.07.19.164253)

I had already seen the page you linked, but it didn't really help.

I haven't found a proper documentation on what exactly to do or how to configure an Hipchat OVA in ESX after deployment. (e.g. step by step guide).

If there is anything like this available anywhere I would appreciate, if anyone could point my into the right direction.

Currently I'm not sure on how to processed with the deployment process. Maybe I missed something here.

Thanks

Robin

Arbi Dridi Atlassian Team Sep 18, 2017

Hi Robin,

After you deploy the Data Center OVA, you will need to setup a reverse proxy or load balancer, a Postgres 9.5 database server, an NFS server and a Redis cache.  

Without these components, the UI will not behave as it should. 

Unfortunately, we don't have a guide on how to setup anything external to HipChat DC besides the info in Configuration requirements for HipChat Data Center deployment.

I hope this helps. 

Thanks. 

This is utterly ridiculous that there's NO additional information besides that page you linked. That page is basically just a list of bullet-points about things you'll need to know, but it's really assuming you've already got a strong background not only with HipChat, but with all the other components, as well.

I don't know if it's the case, but it feels like Atlassian has tried to put the BARE minimum amount of information out there, so that people just give up and go to HipChat Cloud in instead. For various compliance reasons, my company doesn't have that option - we HAVE to keep it behind our firewall. Right now, I'm just trying to set up a SIMPLE trial installation - I'm not really worried about high availability and whatnot, and I don't even care about making it accessible across the internet yet.

I could SOMEWHAT understand if the information about configuring those other pieces was not as complete, but honestly, there's not even enough information on that page about how to connect HipChat to those services. For example, there's a small amount of sample commands to create the Postgres database, but nothing that I could find about how to actually connect HipChat to that database.

There's mention of Redis needing to be configured to be highly available if I'm configuring HipChat to be highly available, but what if that's not the case? Like I said, I'm configuring according to the small scale, single node option - do I need Redis at all in that case? The documentation is unclear on that point.

The NFS node - is this supposed to be something on a separate server from the HipChat server? Once again, not entirely clear from the documentation.

I like the other products from your company that I've worked with, but come on, Atlassian - you've really dropped the ball here for system admins like me who legitimately want to implement another one of your products, but have no way to do so without more information.

Hi Arbi,

so I have been going through the additional step described on this page:
https://confluence.atlassian.com/hipchatdc3/deploy-hipchat-data-center-manually-909770912.html

and have created a postgressql database and set up redis as well as an NSF share.

I also created the configuration.json files based on the example and configured the hipchat server with it.

The result of:

hipchat datacenter selfcheck 

Redis Validation
- Connection - ✓
- Authentication - ✓
- Write - ✓

Database Validation
- Connection - ✓
- Authentication - ✓
- Max Connection - x, Max connections is currently set to 100. It should be greater than 1000.
- Table - ✓

Nfs Validation
- Connection - ✓

Share Validation for root user
- Write - ✓
- Read - ✓
- Delete - ✓

Share Validation for root user
- Write - ✓
- Read - ✓
- Delete - ✓

Hostname Validation
- Hostname - ✓

look fine, except the max limit of postgres connection, which I probably will change later on but shouldn't be an issue now.

The problem now is, that when I open the page in my browser I only get a "File not found" mesage. I checked the /hipchat/web directory which has a link called current, that points to /hipchat-scm/web, but there is no web folder under /hipchat-scm/.

Now I'm stuck and think, that I migth have to redeploy the whole VM again. No sure what actually happend here.

This would be little help if you or some have same problem.

My experience on Data Center OVA release in around July 2017.

I have to change the owner email address of my HipChat server and reset password via email.

Step 1) Login in to HipChat VM via ssh.

- id / pwd = admin / hipchat

Step 2) reset owner

$> hipchat service --reset-owner=new_email@youemailadderss.com

- restart HipChat server

Step 3) Open HipChat login via browser

- proceede reset password using the new owner email address

- HipChat give you a reset password url thru email

/Finish

If you get login as root in ssh console: $ sudo /bin/dont-blame-hipchat

Arbi Dridi Atlassian Team Sep 22, 2017

Hi Terry, 

Thanks for chipping in. In Robin's case, no used has signed up to HipChat Data Center yet so there isn't an owner. 

Hi "Global Services",

Let me help with some of your concerns: 

but it's really assuming you've already got a strong background not only with HipChat, but with all the other components, as well.

A strong background with HipChat shouldn't be needed for the install. However, familiarity with the other components would be very helpful. 

but nothing that I could find about how to actually connect HipChat to that database.

The connection to the database is done by HipChat via configuration.json.

There's mention of Redis needing to be configured to be highly available if I'm configuring HipChat to be highly available, but what if that's not the case?

If you're deploying a small-scale environment, you don't really need a highly available Redis (although you can). Even an enterprise-scale deployment can work fine with a single-node Redis. 

do I need Redis at all in that case? The documentation is unclear on that point.

Yes, Redis is a requirement. The small-scale architecture diagram illustrates it.   

The NFS node - is this supposed to be something on a separate server from the HipChat server? Once again, not entirely clear from the documentation.

Correct. In the same architecture diagram, it's meant to be deployed in the same node as the database and Redis. It's called the data tier. 

I hope this helps. 

I'm in complete agreement with Global Services on this.  I've been banging my head against this trying to figure out this very same issue.  Thank goodness my Google-Fu skills are pretty good such that I was able to find this article.

For the past week I've been battling all of the Atlassian products, trying to set them up internally on a privately controlled network.  But HipChat has been the hardest one because the documentation just isn't there or easily accessible.  At least the other solutions had automatic wizards.  But I thought it being deployed through OVA was going to make the process trivial.  I had no idea I needed to manually set up these other components too.

I'm giving up for now, I'll try again later.  But you guys should make this way more clear on the dependencies from the setup page and on.

Arbi Dridi Atlassian Team Oct 05, 2017

Hi Matt, 

Thanks for the feedback. 

We've just released Hipchat Data Center 3.1 which indeed has a setup Wizard. Please give it a try. 

Can you please shed more light on how difficult it was for you to find the right documentation? 

It is true that we do not provide documentation on how to setup the external data stores (Redis, Postgres and NFS). Is there anything else you found missing? 

Let us know how we can help. 

It is true that we do not provide documentation on how to setup the external data stores (Redis, Postgres and NFS). Is there anything else you found missing? 

That I even needed Redis, Postgres and NFS.  With your other services, I pulled down the code, set up a db, hooked them up and away I went.  I expected the same here because I didn't see anywhere that said I needed to set up additional services.  That was the problem: no indication that I needed those additional services.

It isn't a problem that I need those additional services.  Just wish I hadn't spent the whole day fighting something with no appropriate error message saying "Hey, you haven't set my stuff up!" and no online indication pointing that out either.

I'll give 3.1 a try.  Hope I can get this up and running because my boss is getting antsy.

Matt,

The infrastructure needed to support Hipchat is more in depth, so there's more steps involved. There is an AWS CloudFormation template at https://confluence.atlassian.com/hipchatdc3/deploy-hipchat-data-center-on-aws-909770910.html that, even if you're not using AWS as the and environment can be helpful in understanding the moving pieces. We've just deployed HCDC on AWS, but didn't use CloudFormation as we wanted to manage the VPC setup ourselves, stepping through what was in the template helped us setup the right dependencies.

With so many possible different environments to provide documentation for, it's understandable that there isn't a how-to guide for your exact needs.

The below command was a great help in confirming that not only were the services setup, but that the Hipchat node knew how to talk to them. Run it from the command line and it'll tell you what it can/can't see.

hipchat datacenter selfcheck 

CCM

> With so many possible different environments to provide documentation for, it's understandable that there isn't a how-to guide for your exact needs.

Forgive me for saying so, but I find that to be a lazy and unprofessional excuse for not having a simpler process.  They've made their other products easier to install through the use of wizards and default configurations.  Why not apply the same principles and make the process easier?  Because there are hundreds of configurations?  Seem's like a wizard could help there.

But the root of this problem is what Global Services mentioned in his original post.  Putting the necessary dependencies in a side article instead of a general knowledge document is silly.

Hello Arbi,

thanks for the fast reply.
My ACL value in the groups table is empty "{}":

Here is the only row from that table:

1;"";"Hipchat";"default";0;"2017-09-25 16:48:43.049086";2;"{}";"{"perms":{"manage_room_integrations":"all","hipconnect":"all"},"history_retention":0,"has_signed_in":1}";0;""

I used your statement with my ID "1". The row now looks like this:

1;"";"Hipchat";"default";0;"2017-09-25 16:48:43.049086";2;"{"admin": [1], "moderator": [1], "founder": 1}";"{"perms":{"manage_room_integrations":"all","hipconnect":"all"},"history_retention":0,"has_signed_in":1}";0;""

This seems to have done the trick.

I am now owner of the server and think, that I can start to test now. Unfortunately I have only a few days left to test it.

Thanks

Robin

Arbi Dridi Atlassian Team Sep 26, 2017

Great news, Robin!
Can you please up-vote my answers and mark one as the answer

As I mentioned in my previous reply, here's how you can extend your evaluation license.
Are you running into issues extending your license?

Hi Arbi,

I will. 

Thanks for your support. Sorry I missed the link in your post before.

Robin

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Nov 14, 2018 in Hipchat Cloud

Hipchat Cloud and Stride End of Life: Just over 90 days away

Earlier this year we made the difficult decision to discontinue our team messaging tools, Stride and Hipchat. The end of life date for Stride and Hipchat Cloud is quickly approaching - February 15, 2...

528 views 0 2
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you