What are the main differences between using HipChat on a web browser or using the desktop client?

We are new to HipChat and actually still deciding if it's a tool worth using. We would like to know what is the difference between the web version or the client version.

So far i have tried both for a couple of days and it seems like not much differences. The only thing I've found so far is that we can press Ctrl+T in the client and do a quick search. I haven't found out how to do that in the browser.

Thanks so much for your input.!

1 answer

This widget could not be displayed.
Evan Michner Atlassian Team Dec 15, 2015

Great question! Honestly, much of it comes down to your personal workflow, though there are certain functional differences.

Here's why I find myself using the standalone app more frequently than the browser:

image2015-12-15 13:24:48.png

Bottom line: If you like working in a browser, work in the browser!

But beyond that, many people find it's simply easier to keep a HipChat app separate from their web browser for workflow reasons. App switching rather than tab switching, for instance.

There are also a few benefits you get with using a standalone app (some of which we have already, some of which will come in the future). For instance, leveraging the native Mac OSX notification system. Or replying in notifications on Windows and Mac. Also, the dock icon – get back to chatting faster and know when someone is mentioning you.

image2015-12-15 13:28:49.png

Does that help?

P.S. CMD J should show you the "quick switcher" on the web browser version. If you ever need help with shortcuts, just hit CMD / in Mac 4.0 or Ctrl / in Windows 4.0.

Thanks Evan for your response. Great answer (y) We will definately take your input into consideration.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Aug 10, 2018 in Hipchat

What should I think about when migrating HipChat to Slack?

...from the beginning. We have built up a lot of content in HipChat, with it being a core tool in our distributed company model. While it is true that we didn’t need to move to Slack immediately, we felt it...

387 views 1 10
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you