It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

What are the XMPP/Jabber connection settings (domain/port) for HipChat Cloud?

Paul Hughes Mar 20, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Connecting to HipChat using Trillian

Trying to connect Trillian to HipChat but does not seem to connect. What is the domain name that I should be using and the port? We are using HipChat Cloud.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Steffen Opel [Utoolity] Community Leader Mar 21, 2016

You can find the XMPP/Jabber Account Information under your HipChat profile, i.e. log into hipchat.com, click on your profile avatar, select menu 'Account settings', click link 'XMPP/Jabber info' - here's my resulting account info:

Account info

Username<...>
Jabber ID<...>@chat.hipchat.com
Room nicknameSteffen Opel
Connect hostchat.hipchat.com
Connect port5222 (TLS) or 5223 (Legacy SSL)
Conference (MUC) domainconf.hipchat.com

Accordingly, you should be using the domain name 'chat.hipchat.com' and port 5222 for regular chat usage (I've just confirmed this to be working as expected for me).

• warning Beware that you also need to use the referenced username, which is separate from your regular HipChat username!
0 votes
Paul Hughes Mar 26, 2016

Thanks so very much for this. Just as an FYI for others that need help, you can also join the HipChat rooms using the trillian "Join Conference".  You will need the "Room nickname" from the profile above and the password is your HipChat account password. And be sure to use conf.hipchat.com otherwise it won't work.

Suggest an answer

This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
Community showcase
Published in Hipchat Cloud

Hipchat Cloud and Stride have reached End of Life (updated)

All good things come to an end - thanks to all our customers and partners who have been along the Hipchat and Stride journey with us.  As of Feb 15th 2019, Hipchat Cloud and Stride have reached ...

33,145 views 7 8
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you