What are the XMPP/Jabber connection settings (domain/port) for HipChat Cloud?

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Connecting to HipChat using Trillian

Trying to connect Trillian to HipChat but does not seem to connect. What is the domain name that I should be using and the port? We are using HipChat Cloud.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 vote

You can find the XMPP/Jabber Account Information under your HipChat profile, i.e. log into hipchat.com, click on your profile avatar, select menu 'Account settings', click link 'XMPP/Jabber info' - here's my resulting account info:

Account info

Username<...>
Jabber ID<...>@chat.hipchat.com
Room nicknameSteffen Opel
Connect hostchat.hipchat.com
Connect port5222 (TLS) or 5223 (Legacy SSL)
Conference (MUC) domainconf.hipchat.com

Accordingly, you should be using the domain name 'chat.hipchat.com' and port 5222 for regular chat usage (I've just confirmed this to be working as expected for me).

• warning Beware that you also need to use the referenced username, which is separate from your regular HipChat username!

Thanks so very much for this. Just as an FYI for others that need help, you can also join the HipChat rooms using the trillian "Join Conference".  You will need the "Room nickname" from the profile above and the password is your HipChat account password. And be sure to use conf.hipchat.com otherwise it won't work.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Jun 19, 2018 in Hipchat

Moving from Hipchat to Stride? Here’s what you’ll love

Heya, Hipchat friends! We’re so happy you’re checking out   Stride. Whether you know it or not, you have been instrumental in making Stride come to life. Every feature, design, and functionality...

16,672 views 4 9
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you