Uses of HipChat Server

I'm aware that there is an Enterprise self-hosted version of HipChat Server in beta and that there are applications (e.g. iPhone) for it.  I'm curios whether an organization will be able to deploy and rebrand HipChat and its clients for use in a highly regulated and secure environment. The requirements are so stringent that it is unlikely that Atlasssian's data centers will or want to conform with the regulatory requirements (e.g. data as to kept separate from consumer data).

2 answers

1 vote
Timothy Chin Community Champion Nov 16, 2014

I believe that if you manage to get yourself the Hipchat Server instance, all the information is stored in your environment (https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/HC/HipChat+Server+Security+and+Privacy).

1 vote
David Maye Atlassian Team Nov 19, 2014

Hi Werner,

As Timothy stated above, all the data for HipChat Server is stored locally on the instance. You can run it completely cut off from the internet and it would work internally within the companies intranet. Of course, this means any client outside of the intranet won't be able to connect, but it's my understanding that some companies want that.

Does your company network have a DMZ? Static IP required? Want to cut all ties with the internet and run the updates for HipChat through a proxy? Yep, HipChat Server can do all that. It is versatile enough to run in most network environments. Take a look at the system requirements for more info.

Cheers,
-David 

David, How confident are you to the accuracy of your answer? I've heard that the video chat requests will prompt a spurt of traffic out to the 'mothership' of HipChat - most likely to validate user licenses, but I've some clients extremely interested in knowing exactly what all is being sent. -wc

David Maye Atlassian Team Nov 24, 2014

HipChat Video does have to connect to HipChat Server to verify and setup the connection peer to peer between the clients (via UDP internally). If the clients cannot connect peer to peer, the Addlive video servers are called to connect the two peers via the internet (via UDP externally, then via TLS). If these avenues are both blocked, then the video connection between users will fail. We do not store anything on the 'mothership' of HipChat, mainly because it's busy orbiting the planet of Ortoraxx in the Xubulair nebula, and quite frankly, internet connections out there are a bit spotty due to black holes. If you want more info (like security info), you can check out our HCS Video One-to-One Doc: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/HC/One-to-One+Video+Chat Hope this helps, -David 2nd Lord of the Ortoraxx Alliance

Say I have a SaaS application which I'd like to compliment with allowing folks to "chat" securely. The conversation may be very confidential. For example, have an advisor video chat or IM a client. Image the application supporting multiple organizations, each with their own advisors. Can HipChat effectively segregate one organizations data from another as to avoid regulatory problems? Everything is hypothetical without NDAs in place etc.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Mar 26, 2018 in Hipchat Data Center

Migration of Hipchat server to Data Center - a retrospective

...able to use the clients After a bunch of testing (rooms, memberships, check for private message history, and most importantly - the custom emoticons!) nearly everything was looking as we needed, however...

453 views 2 6
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you